C3 Aluminum Control Arms

I have to agree. I want to modify this car for safe, reliable road use. I feel that I just can't get enough caster to make the car drive the way I want it to. I really do prefer the feel of 5 to 6 degrees of caster. I know that I can slot my UCA cross shafts and get a bit more caster.

In terms of reliability, what would you find preferable, TT? The SPC adjustable arms, or some good quality Tig-welded tubular arms? This car gets driven at most 2000 miles a year...

Best wishes,
Matt.
Have you checked out the Global West CAs?

yhst-20865666099910_2192_48690054

I have to agree. I want to modify this car for safe, reliable road use. I feel that I just can't get enough caster to make the car drive the way I want it to. I really do prefer the feel of 5 to 6 degrees of caster. I know that I can slot my UCA cross shafts and get a bit more caster.

In terms of reliability, what would you find preferable, TT? The SPC adjustable arms, or some good quality Tig-welded tubular arms? This car gets driven at most 2000 miles a year...

Best wishes,
Matt.

Screw using that stuff, if aluminum is what you want just do a c4 suspension conversion and never worry about issues again.

I tend to agree with you. The issue lies in the fact that in Australia a car with such a conversion would be almost impossible to register.

They have a COW with my car.....

but it drives fine for some years now, modificatons and all...

:surrender:

I tend to agree with you. The issue lies in the fact that in Australia a car with such a conversion would be almost impossible to register.

How does a australian insector know what is original to a C3 and what isn't? I mean if you bought a new frame setup for c4 suspension what would give them the impression it has been changed. I would think a aftermarket a-arm setup on a old c3 frame would catch their attention more then a new frame with c4 suspension.

The inspectors are getting pretty cluey these days, which is my fear. Maybe it's worth going through and getting the car engineered with the C4 suspension; it would be a very expensive exercise but the car would be better for it.

My reasoning for aftermarket arms on the C3 chassis was that they can easily be removed when it comes time for inspection. For better of for worse...

The inspectors are getting pretty cluey these days, which is my fear. Maybe it's worth going through and getting the car engineered with the C4 suspension; it would be a very expensive exercise but the car would be better for it.

My reasoning for aftermarket arms on the C3 chassis was that they can easily be removed when it comes time for inspection. For better of for worse...

But how could a c4 based frame not pass a visual inspection, I mean it's not like aftermarket suspension, it's been tested in the usa and meets and dot standards set. I would think they would much rather see that then some aftermarket piece.

Just get a cheaper 4,000.00 frame rather then a tube frame. Have it setup for mono-springs. In the end you would have a far superior driving car without the bandaids that marginally make a c3 suspension better. I have looked into both aspects for my 82 such as steeroids, better sway bars, better springs, after-market rear suspension pieces. But in the end it approaches the cost of a c4 frame.

I have yet to see any of these companies do any real world testing to prove how there stuff compares to stock and would really love to see them build a complete car and see how it stacks up against a stock c4 suspension frame both in cost and performance.

I just think companies like sharkbite/steeriods/ etc. etc are geared towards looks verses eliminating the crappy c3 suspension bad traits. I can see a rack improving the steering but then it still has the original bumpsteer issues along with flexing issues.

way I see it you can take your rolling c3 frame if rust free and get a good 1500 for it use that money to buy a ragged out c4 donor then just save up for the frame. You could use the c4 drivetrain for better all around driveability and economy and better availabilty of performance add-ons and in the end up with a real world c3 that has the great looks but awesome c4 handling without guessing will this help my car or is it more for looks.

You could even part out stuff from the c4 to put towards your frame, I just think it is pointless to dump tons of money into a 30 y/o frame and suspension when the solution to all the problems is so simple.

Last edited:
A simple question about control arms.

Now some of you have him rebuilding the whole car from the ground up as an answer.

That is the only thing that would make a c3 worth driving

OH PLEASE, maybe yes and no...not that there is one significant part on my car that is dead stock....maybe the rotors?? some bearings??

:surrender:

To each his own, I guess. I decided from the beginning that I would only buy a good condition, registered car and drive the hell out of it. I've just seen too many people pull their car off the road to 'improve' it, and miss out on many years of driving. Worse, some projects never hit the pavement ever again!

The goal of this car is a few functional modifications that make it better to drive on the terrible roads around here. It's already the most fun car I've ever driven, and I've had one of those Nissan Skyline Turbo AWD thingies...

Last edited:
I dunno why, must be the demographics of this area, vs Wash DC region that hates cars in general, but this region is a car town, and almost 80% of the time I drive my shark anywhere, the car gets compliments and asked about, even with the shitty paint job....but lots of .mil types around here, and Florida supposedly has some 40% of the total registered vettes here in this state....a figger I find somewhat crazy high, but it did come from a believable source....

So yeh a old shark is fun to drive, and certainly noticed, all the rest just look alike to me, unless something totally wild like a famous Italian something or other....:nuts:

As for the arm shafts, a machine shop could set you up with some easily. Add a long howe moduar ball joint and you have what you want.
Here's a better pic of the arms.

Howe 22304 Moog K6034

Cap Make Fit Stock Application Racing
Application
Alumninum Chevy N63 55-70 Impala
63-82 Vette Nostalga
Classes
Less
Stud Taper Ball
Size
22359 1.5" 1.437

AVAILABLE STUDS FOR 22304 - 1/2-20 THREAD

Change 0" +.1" +.2" +.3" +.4" +.5" +.9"
Part No. 22380 22381 22382 22383 22384 22385 22389A
Dim. X 1.186" 1.286" 1.386" 1.486" 1.586" 1.686" 2.086"
Dim. L 3.15" 3.25" 3.35" 3.45" 3.55" 3.65" 4.05"

How long are people going on the upper? It looks like you can go 0.1" to 0.9".

I'm going to install some SPC uppers and Vansteel lowers I picked up cheap from a guy who is restoring (back to stock) a restomod C2.

I put Howe ball joints on my camaro, they are quality pieces, worth the extra $.

A simple question about control arms.

Now some of you have him rebuilding the whole car from the ground up as an answer.

That is the only thing that would make a c3 worth driving

Very telling statement. You just don't get it.

Of course I get it. I love the looks of a C3 and own one, but after driving it less then a year never drove it again. why? cause I couldn't handle the way it drove simple as that. Sorry but a C3 is about well mannered in the suspension department as a taxi cab. Only time my c3 will ever see the road again is with modern suspension. Bash me all you want that is my opinion and I am sure anyone who could afford a C4 based suspension frame and all the c4 parts to do it would do it in a heartbeat if they weren't a purist.

Of course I get it. I love the looks of a C3 and own one, but after driving it less then a year never drove it again. why? cause I couldn't handle the way it drove simple as that. Sorry but a C3 is about well mannered in the suspension department as a taxi cab. Only time my c3 will ever see the road again is with modern suspension. Bash me all you want that is my opinion and I am sure anyone who could afford a C4 based suspension frame and all the c4 parts to do it would do it in a heartbeat if they weren't a purist.

I absolutely agree with you. The way i think you "don't get it" is the challenge and excitement of driving a car that is raw and unforgiving. The new cars especially the new vettes you just put your foot down and point it. The active handling will keep you out of trouble. It understeers and is safe and predictable.

Years ago i made the mistake of letting my instructor drive my car. He was all over the track and i was actually to the point of chucking under my breath. He brought us back in after one lap thinking something was wrong with the car. Some guys have never driven a car without rack and pinion and without plenty of safe understeer built in. I had to go to the track steward to argue with the instructor to let me back on the track.

The positive side is that he signed off on my license at the end of the day being impressed with how i handled the car.