Branick Model Sct-520 Spring Compressor

I'd be interested to know why it's easy to use and I tried to look up the price. All I could see that that manufacturer made were strut compressors.

These easiest way to compress springs, for me so far, has been to chain my jack body to the frame, position the lifting pad of the jack arm, under the control arm (actually the ball joint nut) and jack it up. When the spring has a little compression it'll wedge a little sideways in the control tower. Then I reach into the sock absorper mounting hole at the top of the tower, take a heavy screwdriver and Hammer, and then bank the spring into place. The jack they completes the compression process. Pretty easy, but mucking around with the spring always makes me nervous.
(The jack chained to the frame technique is to be used when mounting springs into control arms on a bare frame.)

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know why it's easy to use and I tried to look up the price. All I could see that that manufacturer made were strut compressors.

These easiest way to compress springs, for me so far, has been to chain my jack body to the frame, position the lifting pad of the jack arm, under the control arm (actually the ball joint nut) and jack it up. When the spring has a little compression it'll wedge a little sideways in the control tower. Then I reach into the sock absorper mounting hole at the top of the tower, take a heavy screwdriver and Hammer, and then bank the spring into place. The jack they completes the compression process. Pretty easy, but mucking around with the spring always makes me nervous.

DECADES ago a olde tyme Pontiac mechanic friend had a CLOSE call...

a coil spring came outta the car, ringed it's way past his ear...and bounced all OVER all 99 walls, floor, ceiling in the garage....

I saw the marks on the garage interior....a couple weeks after....

fair warning I have ALWAYS heeded...unless the shock is bolted in....

a good size chain and 3/8" bolt/nut through it for sure....usually around lower A arm leg....

I had ONE spring it's way out on me since then...and stopped with the chain....

that shit ain't nutting to fuck with....kinda like stored up energy in a pissed off WIFE.....:shocking::shocking::p

What makes it different from other spring compressors?

It goes through the shock hole in the frame. Just comrpess the spring up into the frame and use a 2x4 to pop the spring into the lower a-arm. Use jack to raise arm into position and bolt it all up.

I just used a threaded bar of 16MM and a piece of bearing i had lying around with a couple of washers and nuts. 5 $ in parts and was a piece of a cake. Not a change of the spring flying out on you, since the bar keeps it inside.