Bloverlanding in a Blazer

I've seen the thick pad before on the floorboard of a few different vehicles. Maybe some kind of sound deadener? I always wondered what would happen to the floorboard beneath, now I know. This is really coming along well and the rust isn't too terrible compared to what Blazers and Broncos of this vintage usually end up with if actually used in the weather and off road. Nice work!

I've seen the thick pad before on the floorboard of a few different vehicles. Maybe some kind of sound deadener? I always wondered what would happen to the floorboard beneath, now I know. This is really coming along well and the rust isn't too terrible compared to what Blazers and Broncos of this vintage usually end up with if actually used in the weather and off road. Nice work!
my plan is spray-in sound deadener with heat protection. On top, in the back, will be bedliner under a removable carpet... probably spray the liner on the front half as well (all this is like the FJ40's protection)

finish up shifter... I'm not sure how they planned on getting the nut on this - so I welded it on... problem solved
zksk7YCh.jpg
sway bars... the aftermarket does have options - but all of them are $500 or more. This is $200
and takes a chance
c2u0Ja7h.jpg
steering is hard left - clears
0fNlLHRh.jpg
close, for certain, but not will never hit
1pFgeTCh.jpg
plenty of room on the passenger side as well
nevaHCSh.jpg
comes with stands that you can use or simply bolt it in place of the old system
xODOO2jh.jpg
what is this sway bar that works for a cross-steer swapped K5 Blazer? a Classic Performance Parts (CCP) sway bar for a 2wd lowered Chevrolet truck... the only thing missing is how to attach it to the axle

first, the most important task... get these mud flaps OFF my Blazer - granted, fender flares are coming but still... time for them to go
E1gw7N6.jpg
eDmDOBp.jpg
then finally finish the t-case with the correct motor mount (from a Corvette)
fT0YYyA.jpg
only thing I had to do was add more holes to the frame to mount the cross member
F2FKSMK.jpg
I hate drilling holes over my head but I got the full monte of it today... it was only 99 degrees in the shop
892KRX2.jpg
however, this works even better
w90SMSMh.jpg
I did have the clearance the bracket so the steering arm didn't hit it
Cbngwx4h.jpg
but clear it does. I'll buy some bar clamps to prevent the sway bar from walking
HuZx6QFh.jpg

anyway, thanks for watching

Looks great! Lot's of moving parts in there but it looks like you're on the right path. Some split collars on the sway bar like you're suggesting ought to kill the side to side movement and as long as the panhard bar keeps the axle from moving side to side, you should still clear with articulation. Have you tried exercising the suspension up and down any to see if you end up with any contact? Having a lift in the shop makes that a lot easier!

Looks great! Lot's of moving parts in there but it looks like you're on the right path. Some split collars on the sway bar like you're suggesting ought to kill the side to side movement and as long as the panhard bar keeps the axle from moving side to side, you should still clear with articulation. Have you tried exercising the suspension up and down any to see if you end up with any contact? Having a lift in the shop makes that a lot easier!
forklift makes it even easier :) maybe I'll do show and tell with that tomorrow....

onward
C7HNe2Hh.jpg
mouse problem, soon to be solved
they not happy (wild kitties)
iHgGZwzh.jpg
time to make the links
uy4iAKwh.jpg
uuJxVNch.jpg
wong ones
kmEgmvFh.jpg
flex comes soon, but they seem to fit fine
So5rI8jh.jpg
paint comes later
NqDEm1ih.jpg
they're still not sure about Luigi
zRWDIo4h.jpg
but he will sway them
d0GLffNh.jpg

piece epoxied in place
O7pwCxah.jpg
I can't believe it, but I have to since I can see it... all my slathering actually sealed the hole
J5tfS8eh.jpg
time to finish the welds
jgpwBOPh.jpg
ready for wrap
1fFwGZfh.jpg
then put the studs in place on the offset
HNnl3Emh.jpg
turbo back in place
z3uZae8h.jpg
close but it is going to require a bit of hammer work
wnA9AQ7h.jpg

key here is I can finally bleed the injectors then make some noise.... there were open oil lines to the turbo....

Reactions: rtj
got the injectors bled
then fought a bit with the glow plug controller... it was missing a ground (which is really a paradox on this thing)
of course, then I learned something... you remember how they used to embed a nut in the battery terminal... apparently some bean counter thought that was dumb
3SY0Umu.jpg
used the other battery and carried on (but tomorrow, I'm going to Costco with both and replacing them)
Then I got it fired and this happened
FRe4e0D.jpg
fast oil change
literally blew the line off... thankfully I noticed very quickly
3LmyvA9.jpg
Qj3fZt5.jpg
fairly quick fix, I did what I did with the other line and adapted up
3LmyvA9.jpg

Would it be easier to leave the fenders off for a bit more time.... probably but more likely probably not
for example, routing lines is paramount now
8Vb7kOTh.jpg
Inner fender the outer fender....
W588YpDh.jpg
maybe more importantly is finding that I need to do a bit of Neanderthal on the core support the bottom is about 1/2" off - and nothing is lining up
us9esaBh.jpg
however, and maybe more importantly, the batteries now have boxes to ride in
bfF6yzKh.jpg
uuLY4r0h.jpg
and I can start considering airboxes
mqtW1NIh.jpg

i like it!!! nice job on the sway bar links.

what is the insulation you have next to the turbo pipe (on the body)

thanks bob

DEI exhaust wrap

time for turbo connections
TPJQr0Ah.jpg
but wait, time to remove the scaling kitty.... FGZ, that package I'm sending to Hawaii may include this thing
CcHCSrLh.jpg
so that silver thing is to quiet turbo noises.... yeah, someone designed something to make turbos quieter....
l8Bogdsh.jpg
like that's going to stay
UHqWy5Mh.jpg
ugly weld on metal of indeterminate origin
WErGtAWh.jpg
time to void warranty
G7eQ0beh.jpg
then weld on elbow
R8GdcNph.jpg
basic layout - but I need to extend a tube
hGllP6hh.jpg
weld better because metal better
RvT5Bg9h.jpg
I haven't decided whether I'm using this swap meet special... it's electronic...
TuLDbfZh.jpg

Reactions: rtj
how is the DEI attached to the engine side of the well body panels? a landau adhesive?

could i use that as koosie cup for the SU float bowls?

how is the DEI attached to the engine side of the well body panels? a landau adhesive?

could i use that as koosie cup for the SU float bowls?
wire and screws. I've tried the glue method - it never works for long.

technically it's supposed to keep things from getting too hot through reflection, would it be an insulator? probably not.

So I bought some brown seats today - mind you, this is after the first rinse that took the dust off
w7dZsTph.jpg
round 1 with grease removing soap
obpqZ5sh.jpg
round 2 and 3 with 409 and purple power
vFD3pFEh.jpg
hmmm... not brown
ItDTqluh.jpg
they'll work
5nnqGZ3h.jpg

nice, for the sedanettte (why keep me waiting???) you need those GM seats with the integral seat belts in them

the is the most important picture of today - clutch works great. had to pry on the throwout while my friend cracked the lines at the master.... not pretty but it works
f01FdcMh.jpg
then I couldn't shut the truck off when I got it into the shop... had to pull the plug and disconnect the battery
Faq6MwZh.jpg
when I got this, the ignition switch was temperamental - thought it was the switch (and, for those playing along, I commented then that the switch looked new)... it was the barrel, not it works like new
fntq5Rjh.jpg
then onto the billions of things left to do... focus now is the electronics so I have gauges and start the floorboard fixes
and then I show you a picture of a speaker
sb8Ff3Vh.jpg
seemed like it was a good idea to replace them since I had to remove one to run the wires for the pillar gauges
4GQvKzfh.jpg
this is not helpful, he thinks he is, but he is most certainly not
FHVcnNNh.jpg
time to start thinking what this is going to need to be/do when its done. sealed for sure but do I just make the top removable? do I rely solely on the rubber boot to keep crap out? (no)
rb7KMt8h.jpg

but in that vein, I should consider what the center console will look like - stock? I'd rather be able to walk into the driver/passenger side but I'm not giving up storage....

tonight's update. Wiring.
spastic cat

I hate everyone.

in other news, because I'm not a YouTube sensation, I'm going to have gauges, a working speedo and insurance before it hits the street.... I know, I know, but I've never pretended to be an actor and I'm not going to start now