Bad Synthetic Grease??!

BlackBetty

So if youve read my other post you know iv been working on my front suspension. Well the other night while working I noticed a puddle under my wheel hub. so I rotated the hub over and this is what I saw! The grease seems to be breaking down. I know it sometimes seperates, but this bad? on both hubs. and look in the bottom of the can! Its freakin straight engine oil. HA. Im thinking about flushing them out and starting over with different grease.
DSC01720.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

How long did it take for that to happen?

I'm using Exon Ronex MP high temp grease and haven't had that problem.

this last can was some red shit, used on a pick up front bearings....lovely...

everything before that seemed fine...from blackish looking like what you have shown, to the normal tan/brown shit....

great, lovely, another QC? problem.....:cussing::bestwishes:

Its already a messy job. Now I have to redo it. If it wasnt only 7 bucks Id take it back to advance and tell them to give me something different at no charge.

Its already a messy job. Now I have to redo it. If it wasnt only 7 bucks Id take it back to advance and tell them to give me something different at no charge.

If you have the receipt, take it back and show them the can and the pic. Let them know that you have to redo the job. Can't hurt.

Ding Ding Ding! MYBAD79 you are the winner of the guess that can prize. Howd you know?

Ding Ding Ding! MYBAD79 you are the winner of the guess that can prize. Howd you know?

Because I bought that stuff too and it's leaking from the can all over my shelf.... I'm glad I did not use it for anything like the wheel bearings.

It's garbage....

Whatz up, trust ya'll made it home ok, good to meet you guys. Wife and I both loved the CD, keep us posted on any shows.

Holler when you get close by or need some help, always looking for an excuse to get on the interstate and head south.

The folks on this forum are fantastic, you'll gain much knowledge here.

Best! :hi:

terry

I've got a big tub of Valvoline . Used it for lots of bearings and other stuff. Never any problems like this. But then, I've had it for close to 10 years. I wonder if they changed the formula?

Is this really a big deal? So they over-saturated the soap with too much oil. I would think that is a good thing, better than having too little oil in the formula.

Is this really a big deal? So they over-saturated the soap with too much oil. I would think that is a good thing, better than having too little oil in the formula.

I guess no worse than automobile paint that washes off in the rain.:bonkers:

Why don't you try a can and let us know?:rofl:

I've got a big tub of Valvoline . Used it for lots of bearings and other stuff. Never any problems like this. But then, I've had it for close to 10 years. I wonder if they changed the formula?

This is not the regular Valvoline grease, it's called "synthetic" and when you open a fresh can or tube for a grease gun it looks great.

I think it is a big deal because it seems to separate after a few months. I don't think a wheel bearing would like this as the fluid might 'wash' the rest of the grease from between the rollers....

I've used this stuff in a grease gun to lube the U-joints and ball joints. I did not notice it leaking from the joints but it leaked from the grease gun.... pretty nasty when it drips all over your shelves....

Since it was such a great product - the guy at AdvanceAuto recommended it - they did not sell Mobil1 at the time.... I bought the can as well.... threw both in the trashcan (couldn't think of a better place for it) and bought "green grease" which is also synthetic but does not separate.

I guess no worse than automobile paint that washes off in the rain.:bonkers:

Why don't you try a can and let us know?:rofl:

This is not the regular Valvoline grease, it's called "synthetic" and when you open a fresh can or tube for a grease gun it looks great.

I think it is a big deal because it seems to separate after a few months. I don't think a wheel bearing would like this as the fluid might 'wash' the rest of the grease from between the rollers....

I've used this stuff in a grease gun to lube the U-joints and ball joints. I did not notice it leaking from the joints but it leaked from the grease gun.... pretty nasty when it drips all over your shelves....

Since it was such a great product - the guy at AdvanceAuto recommended it - they did not sell Mobil1 at the time.... I bought the can as well.... threw both in the trashcan (couldn't think of a better place for it) and bought "green grease" which is also synthetic but does not separate.

Neither of you addressed my question. If this paticular grease is oversatureated with oil and some settles out. What's the problem?

You say it will wash the grease off the rollers. I might buy that. But it might recombine with the soap too.

Remember 99% of failures are from grease that is too dry because it has dried out over the years.

It'd be great to get a good technical answer on this.

Your assuming too much oil. Maybe it's insuffecient binder, or soap as you say.
Either rate, Who needs runny grease seeping out everywhere. Slinging all over the brakes, or running out the hubs, and not "staying put" where it was placed?
If it's not up to snuff, it ain't what you paid for.

I agree with turtle. If you mix the can, it will take up the shedded oil. All these synthetics do it. If you have a leaking bearing seal due to it, that kind of sucks but I would not discard the grease. Once you drive the car it will be just fine. Even the red mobil one separates like crazy.