Ashtray door flops open every time I stop

powerglide

I'm guessing this is common...but everytime I step on the brake the ashtray door open because it's too loose. I have the door out of the car, it has two black plastic bushings and thats it. There's a hole for something else, is there supposed to be spring in here too? How do I tighten this up so it stops flopping open?

There should be a spring on the door. Look around the console on both sides and maybe you will find it. Best I remember it's about 1 inch long.

No luck...I couldn't find a diagram either in my shop manual.
Anyone have a picture or diagram they can post? I'll put in a bubba spring if I have to...dare I put in a rubber band! (kidding)
I'm wondering whcih direction does the spring apply the force. Straight forward towards to engine, or does it pull on the lid in another direction?

I will look it up in my AIM manual for you,it should have a good diagram,just had mine out a month ago but for the life of me i can't remember how the spring hooks up :banghead:

I replaced the plastic bushing (or guides) on my 76 and that helped alot. Door moves smooth, but doesn't open up on its own.