Are there any oem 13" pr 14" rotors that will fit a C3?

bhays

A friend and I are wanting to have a go at fabricating some caliper brackets for my 82 project. The C6 Z06 calipers would fit in terms of thickness and bolt pattern, but the hat is too shallow. Are there any oem applications out there that are large rotors that are a bolt on in terms of rotors?

If I hadn't spent the money on the Wilwood calipers.....

The only problem is the hat depth? Really ?? If I'd known this ......

Oh well..... Just put a spacer between the rotor and the hub....

Is it really that easy or am I overlooking something ???

If I hadn't spent the money on the Wilwood calipers.....

The only problem is the hat depth? Really ?? If I'd known this ......

Oh well..... Just put a spacer between the rotor and the hub....

Is it really that easy or am I overlooking something ???

Even better, put the offset in the brackets.
That reminds me that I recently looked up Corvette Engineering website, and all the bracket are out of stock.

I think someone put some BMW E38 7 series front rotors on. They are 12.75x1.18" with a 3" offset and a 5x120 bolt patern

hats and rotors

The 2 folks I'd check with are:

1. Aerospace Components
2. Coleman Racing Products

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - did I miss the give-a-ways? Never mind I'm in Malaysia now and all my vette bits are all in FL.

Cheers - Jim

There are a couple of big rotors with a deeper hat, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Viper but they all require machine work.

I was just gonna say to go search the catalogs at the brake supply house. Back in the nineties I showed up at our local and the Babe manning the counter was horribly hung over. I went and got her soup and then the catalogs were mine!!:gurney:

I spent a couple hours studying her books, and such, to finally determine an almost perfect replacement for my racecar application.

Having the catalogs on line is such a huge help these days but I still remember that poor hottie with her forehead on the Formica....:evil:

First of all, the stock calipers, even though the are pretty crude cast iron and are of a 50 year+ technology, are as far as I know, still very good brakes. I have Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC) aluminum calipers that are direct replacements for the Delco cast iron calipers. SSBC is pretty expensive and I think the less expensive Wilwood aluminum replacements for the Delco's are now popular. SSBC makes a bigger caliper for C3's but you have to have 16 inch wheels (17"?) for these to mount. The now crude cast iron Delco calipers were used very successfully at Le Mans and Daytona.

I'd think that stock rotor diameters with modern aluminum calipers would be just great for any C3. My guess is that you'd have to be on the far edge of road racing to need better performance. ...My opinion, I do realize the brake systems I've mentioned are not ABS.

I have SSBC aluminum calipers on my 68 with stock rotors. I don't have power brakes,... manual. Braking is just amazing as far as I can tell. There's a lot to do with upgrading a C3 for today's technology...new engine...5 or 6 speed transmission, upgraded suspension (composite springs), ...........but the stock iron calipers and rotors are more than capable for almost everyone's performance driving. Get the aluminum calipers, with no real improvement in braking, and enjoy the technology boost.

Last edited:
Hindsight is 20/20.....

I have the Wilwood 6 piston setup and I got them when they ran a special for under $1000.

That said, the Z06 rotors and four calipers can be found online for around $1500, so when the Wilwoods are not on sale that is the better value in my opinion, only problem is that it requires custom brackets and possibly a spacer to move the rotor 'outwards'

I don't know the piston area compared to the stock calipers, with the same line pressure (determined by your foot and the booster/master) itbmight be close enough. The clamping force on the rotor could be less but it's applied at a larger diameter on the rotor. I had the same issue when converting my Mustang brakes from 11" to 13" rotors, had to get the line pressure up using a different master with smaller bore.