Anyone removed an ls1 from a Firebird?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I found a sweet deal on an LS1 that is in a wrecked 2002 WS6 Firebird. I want to remove as much of the wiring harness and electronics as I will need to get this running after transplant.

Is the computer underhood? Is the engine wiring integrated into the other wiring? Any tips on what else I should get while I'm at it?

I found a sweet deal on an LS1 that is in a wrecked 2002 WS6 Firebird. I want to remove as much of the wiring harness and electronics as I will need to get this running after transplant.

Is the computer underhood? Is the engine wiring integrated into the other wiring? Any tips on what else I should get while I'm at it?

If it's like the 87 Camaro I stripped the computer was under the dash in the cabin

9502062F02-007.gif

# 43! that's the PCM

0208292F02-025.gif

TT, you post above is a classic example of why the end of the car hobby is in site, in another 10 years or so, who in hell going to find parts for all that electronic crap?? and with .gov looking over our shoulder, we prevented from using wire cutters....

:crap::ill::drink:

Bullshark, I have '00 'bird engine, which should be very similar to yours (slightly different emissions equipment is all I know in relevance to this post) the engine wiring harness is separate from the underhood harness. They connect with 3 main connectors on the passenger side wheel well. They are named C100,C101 and C105. Here's a shot of what they look like:
11014b586b5693d04.jpg

I believe there is a 4th connector that is smaller and is used in the starting circuit (purple wire).

The computer is behind the passenger side strut tower. The engine harness (and subsequently the ecu) gets all of its power through those 3 connectors.

Some of the engine harness does go under the dash. These are called connectors 220 and 230. I'm not sure where they plug in and don't have a shot of them, sorry.

As far as the underhood wiring harness goes (for everything else including the relay/fuse box, fan power and relays, headlights, signals, headlight motors, etc), that is one big snake. I have mine out of my donor car, but it also goes under the dash (where mine was cut) and, I believe, goes to the BCM. I'm not too sure on that. I'm not sure of your plans, but I really don't plan on using this except I may cut off the connectors C100,C101 and C105 so I have both sides for my engine harness wiring, or just sell it whole. This harness is not crucial for the operation of the engine as long as you hook up your own fuse/relay box and wiring for the fans.

Here is a shot of my underhood harness:
picture.php

The WHITE circles are the headlights
The big RED circle is around the connectors that I disconnected from the engine harness (that purple wire is in there)
The YELLOW circle is specifically around C100, C101 and C105.

If you look over to the right, you can see a blue connector. I believe that is either 220 or 230, but I'm not sure.

I don't know your intentions for the engine to give anymore advice, but this section and FAQ of ls1tech has some great info.

I hope this helps and good luck:beer:

I'd think you need to open that thing with a can opener and start tagging as you go. Every piece of wire could come in handy- headlights to taillights, along with every sensor.
I've been thinking about finding something like a GMC Denali with the DIC and all that and transplanting it into the 77. Everything EXCEPT the transfer case- I've already got a new home for that. I've been looking at how to mod the gauges from that to the 77 gauge faces too. Got to be a way to do it and keep all the cool electronic stuff intact- right down to the LCD odometer.

I'd think you need to open that thing with a can opener and start tagging as you go. Every piece of wire could come in handy- headlights to taillights, along with every sensor.
I've been thinking about finding something like a GMC Denali with the DIC and all that and transplanting it into the 77. Everything EXCEPT the transfer case- I've already got a new home for that. I've been looking at how to mod the gauges from that to the 77 gauge faces too. Got to be a way to do it and keep all the cool electronic stuff intact- right down to the LCD odometer.

Tim, YOU build me a grenade proof 700 and I do your electricals.....deal??

:bounce::amazed:

There is many informative sites out there.
I don't think these sites will help with harness removal but for the rest of your project these are the sites I found most helpful. They are older and not specific to the LSx engines. chevythunder helped me immensely with my TBI conversion - the mechanics of the later harnesses, how to re-pin etc.
lt1swap had tons of info and diagrams for the LSx and LS1 engines. Spend some time looking them over.
http://chevythunder.com/
http://www.lt1swap.com/index.htm