Anybody Upgrade to Halo Projector Headlights?

Red

I have seen projector headlights on race cars, but can't find units that appear to fit properly in my 79 headlight opening. Making a housing/bracket is expected, but can't seem to get started with a headlight that lends itself to mounting in the C-3 opening. Maybe someone seeing this has done it, or can point me in the right direction.

For cooling purposes, I an not interested in placing lights in the grill area, only the original opening. Also, I don't want to use the old style rectangular headlights. I have seen the L88 style brackets made to work with the plexiglass covers. My interest is in using the one piece sealed high and low beam unit and fabricating a housing it will mount in. Wiring it to work seems like a much easier task. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

V-Twin has 90mm hellas on his ride.

Isn't that the one with the drawings on file here?? using those smaller round bulb/fittings??

Mike/Red, unless you want to go super bright, remember my use of the later Camaro bulbs in the Eckler's sugar scoops?? hole opening about 1/2 the size as OEM....

:drink:

anybody ever fitted some Xenon head lights?

I have those on my SRX and I really like those lights.

I dont care much about the BMW halo ring around the projectors, but I do like the blueish lights of Xenon.
Very effective headlights

Last edited:
Making the bucket is not THAT big of a deal... finding lights that are replaceable (and available) is another challenge... BMW lights seem to fit the bill but the 90mm Hellas are likely cheaper.

If C6 headlights were cheaper you could try those... remove the plastic cover and make a few aluminum brackets to bolt them into the existing opening, add fiberglass to fill the gaps and paint the buckets to match...

The C6 option is expensive and a lot of work but it sure would be awesome....:evil:

I did a search here in the Tech papers , but couldn't find anything on headlight upgrades. Another thing, I do not want to use the stock headlight mechanism, but make a fixed section to install the new projector lights in. I'm not talking individual bulbs, but a unit with high and low beam and directional as one unit. Anybody know of a light that lends itself to mounting in the C-3 opening? BTW....ebay has plenty of projector lights, so I thought finding one would be easy. Not so, they are what I'm looking for, but not compatible with mounting in a C-3 Corvette. There has to be one or several that would do best, I'm just not coming across them. We seem to be getting warmer toward solving this puzzle.

Thanks Gene, I have the aluminum L88 bracket photo and the grill mounted lights will create cooling issues. I was thinking something that mixed the L88 bracket with a combo light like this.
!B7uT!FQEGk~$(KGrHqZ,!hoEyrpzTU10BM1DpZ5QOw~~0_12.jpg
I keep thinking someone has already used a headlight like this, but one that lends itself better to the C-3 opening. I would be painting the light surround and whatever bracket i made to car body color. BTW...I have a perfectly functioning original headlight system, I'm just looking to save weight. The light pictured above is a 96-98 Honda Civic and available on Flea Bay for buy now $75. Most model car headlights are available, but which one will work best with an aluminum bracket similar to the L88? This is what i have in mind.

Last edited:
Thanks Gene, I have the aluminum L88 bracket photo and the grill mounted lights will create cooling issues. I was thinking something that mixed the L88 bracket with a combo light like this.
!B7uT!FQEGk~$(KGrHqZ,!hoEyrpzTU10BM1DpZ5QOw~~0_12.jpg
I keep thinking someone has already used a headlight like this, but one that lends itself better to the C-3 opening. I would be painting the light surround and whatever bracket i made to car body color. BTW...I have a perfectly functioning original headlight system, I'm just looking to save weight. The light pictured above is a 96-98 Honda Civic and available on Flea Bay for buy now $75. Most model car headlights are available, but which one will work best with an aluminum bracket similar to the L88? This is what i have in mind.

The problem you will have it that the headlight opening on a C3 is at a very shallow angle. If you had a headlight assembly in the front (like the Civic you have pictured) you would have to recess them in a bucket and, even then, the total height of the assembly would have to be less than 4 inches. I don't think you will find that.

The only other car I can think of that has a similar, shallow angle opening like a C3 is a 300zx. You could probably make these work, I don't know. Like to see somebody give it a shot.

44cdb20539cc7a.jpg

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies. The 300ZX type approach was close to what I had in mind, but getting it to fit? I'm thinking, if it would fit inside the C-3 headlight opening, the 300ZX light could be mounted inside a sheet of aluminum and that mounted into the opening. I will have to keep my eyes open and get some measurements. The 300ZX lights are pricey though @ $125 each.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...essories&fits=Model:300ZX&hash=item3cb1c8b29e

Friend of mine used a kit with clear lens cover over opening for a Fiero to eliminate the popups headlites. I think Fiero had less height than a Vette.

Friend of mine used a kit with clear lens cover over opening for a Fiero to eliminate the popups headlites. I think Fiero had less height than a Vette.

By "a kit," I assume someone is putting parts together that will work specifically for a C-3 Corvette? Can you find out more about kit availability, web link, pictures, or any other details? I appreciate the input!

By "a kit," I assume someone is putting parts together that will work specifically for a C-3 Corvette? Can you find out more about kit availability, web link, pictures, or any other details? I appreciate the input!

I guess I wasn't clear.

He used a Fiero kit in a Fiero, my point being that the height of the opening in the Fiero is very small, smallest I've ever seen.
I'll try and get some detailed info from him.

He said he found it at the Turkey Run a few years ago. It used an alum tray for mounting the lites.
A guy that lives just west of Daytona makes the kits plug and play for the Fiero.
He will look for the guys card.

He said he found it at the Turkey Run a few years ago. It used an alum tray for mounting the lites.
A guy that lives just west of Daytona makes the kits plug and play for the Fiero.

Year ago there used to be a larger Fiero dedicated shop just up the street from me in Olney Maryland.....I stopped by once, good operation, wonder if maybe it's the same guy...??

I had a '88 Fiero Formula back 12 years ago, it was a fun little car.....

little skunk would out dig most anything in the rain, but at 80 on wet roads, you sure knew where that engine was.....:shocking::banghead:

Thanks...I appreciate the information. I'm starting to think a tray/bracket like the L88 style to adapt another type light might work. I'm still trying to find a 300ZX to take some measurements. Maybe, Fiero might work better, a look at the Fiero kit will help. I'm going to do an online search and see if he comes up. Thanks again!

I know of a guy here in the Netherlands that was busy fitting alfa 159 headlights into a c3.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Scheinwerfer-ALFA-159-05-Links-/160500097723?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item255e8d22bb

These would be cool, thanks for sharing. Next time you see the guy, any pictures, or info on his progress would be appreciated.

I am finding it difficult to find a car to take measurements. When I found a 300ZX to take measurements and a paper tracing of the headlight, the owner would have none of it and looked ready to draw a gun on me. Not everyone shares the enthusiasm we have for modifying our cars. :hunter:

The Alfa lights look cool but look at used/cracked C6 lights as well... these lights are small and powerful... if you use your own plastic cover anyways then it doesn't matter what color or condition the C6 lights are in.... worth a though IMO....

I can tell you this much: the C6 light is awesome (in a C6) !!!!! :drink: