Anybody (in warm areas) use their hard tops?

rick piras

Hi folks,
I just got a '65 convertible a week ago. It also came with a removeable hard top. This weekend I built a hoist and frame to store it in the rafters of the garage, which allowed me to get a look at the car for the first time with the convertible top on it. The car looks WAY better to me with the soft top. Anyway, it got me thinking; how many of you guys that have hard tops and live in warm weather climates, use your hard top in the winter? I'm in California and have had numerous convertibles in the past and never thought about a need for a hard top. I'll add that my wife and I have 4 cars and 3 motorcycles, so the 'vette will never be used as a daily driver. I grew up on Pennsylvania and I know folks in colder climates probably use the hard top 6-7 months/year, but it seems unnecessary here. Any thought on this?

Thanks,

Who in "cold climates" uses a hardtop..? If you have a roadster (convertible), you're a wimp if you ever put the top up. I have the hardtop for my car as well as the convertible top. I live in Denver, and I've never had the hardtop installed nor the convertible top up. When it rains or snows, you just drive faster. If you can't handle it, get rid of the convertible and buy a Coupe!

Lars

driving64.jpg

Yeah, I am a wimp when it comes to being cold. But I'm a smart wimp, so I moved to California as soon as I graduated college a hundred years ago.
Seriously, the reason I brought up the question was that I'm thinking that selling off the hard top might make sense if I'm not gonna use it....

Rick, Lars, funny but your pix there looks like me in my convertibles, including this '72, that had a factory HT with it....brought it to Florida with me, it hung in the garage some 3-4 years, got tired of looking at it, sold it....only got like 600 bux though, the guy who bought it was very happy it was totally complete and clean, interior was redone in polar fleece though, the vinyl had shrunk and cracked all to hell, so I redid it up north yet, years ago...

so yes, I"d sell it....not that much market these daze for hobby items....

:eek:h::goodnight:

My first car was a '61 Corvette. I removed the top a couple times, but I could never get over the feeling that I was driving around in an oversized bathtub. The whole convertible thing just never worked for me. The two Corvettes since have been coupes. (Obviously, my mileage varied from others.)

Who in "cold climates" uses a hardtop..? If you have a roadster (convertible), you're a wimp if you ever put the top up. I have the hardtop for my car as well as the convertible top. I live in Denver, and I've never had the hardtop installed nor the convertible top up. When it rains or snows, you just drive faster. If you can't handle it, get rid of the convertible and buy a Coupe!

Lars

driving64.jpg

:twitch: You're not serious, are you????

Lars

driving64.jpg

:twitch: You're not serious, are you????

:smash::rofl::rofl: JUst as serious as I was....:rain:

You're not serious, are you????

No, I'm not serious about you being a whimp - I'm sure you're a handsome, burley, hunk of a man.

I'm dead serious about never putting my top on or up regardless of weather. My convertible has never had a top on it - the hardtop is stored in the shed, and the convertible top hasn't been up. The photo is no joke.

Lars

You're not serious, are you????

No, I'm not serious about you being a whimp - I'm sure you're a handsome, burley, hunk of a man.

I'm dead serious about never putting my top on or up regardless of weather. My convertible has never had a top on it - the hardtop is stored in the shed, and the convertible top hasn't been up. The photo is no joke.

Lars

UHH...give your probable family heritage, what is to doubt???

:rofl::rofl:

I have no soft top and never take off the hard top. It is 78-98° F here in the summer. I like the look of the c-3 best with the hard top. thum_24048cf2bfac420b.jpg

I don't need to stinkin top nor any stinking door glass:yahoo:I have a real man's roadster. I did need interior so I put it back in; still need to update pics.

Side2.jpg

Damn, Rabiddog! Your car makes Lars' look like a luxury vehicle. He never puts his top up, but at least he has a windshield to protect him. Don't you have a problem with big bugs hitting you in the teeth without a windshield?:tomato:
Nice car.

Damn, Rabiddog! Your car makes Lars' look like a luxury vehicle. He never puts his top up, but at least he has a windshield to protect him. Don't you have a problem with big bugs hitting you in the teeth without a windshield?:tomato:
Nice car.

Naaah, the w/s was a Katrina loss....

:suicide::sos::hissyfit:

Come on guys, that pic was three days after it was painted. It has a new w/s and complete interior now, just no new pics. I did drive it down the street before the glass was put in and that was all I wanted of that. The name windshield is definately appropriate.

As for Katrina, this car was safe in CO during all of that. Besides, here in Lafayette we hardly got a sprinkle from Katrina.