Anal retentive practices or not.

I never torque bolts

Only my half shaft bolts have came loose so far :blush:

I would have to say that luck has been on your side.

I don't think every bolt, nut, and screw needs to be torqued in an automotive application.

"BUT" what is the value of feeling secure KNOWING that nothing is going to "accidentally" come loose at 100+ MPH?

Many races are won or lost because of the prep work done before..

Most everything on the chassis is cotter pinned

And I've been meaning to get the french locks for the half shafts

My personal anal thing is oil leaks. That engine will run forever with them, but annoy the hell out of me. It just doesn't take long to fix, and makes it so much easier to work on a clean engine. It keeps the engine clean, the driveway clean, hoses last longer(all rubber), and it's better for the earth.
But, my Model T leaks. It's just the design of the time. There is nothing you can do about it, and it's just the nature of the beast.;)

OK, I'll bring the C2 over and YOU can do the rear main seal.:friends:

I'm not anal about anything. Well, maybe.................no, not even that.:amused:

Bring it over.:search:

My personal anal thing is oil leaks. That engine will run forever with them, but annoy the hell out of me. It just doesn't take long to fix, and makes it so much easier to work on a clean engine. It keeps the engine clean, the driveway clean, hoses last longer(all rubber), and it's better for the earth.
But, my Model T leaks. It's just the design of the time. There is nothing you can do about it, and it's just the nature of the beast.;)

I'm not anal about anything. Well, maybe.................no, not even that.:amused:

I think Glenn meant to say, I'll bring the C2 over and YOU can do the rear main seal for FREE. :bounce:

I think Glenn meant to say, I'll bring the C2 over and YOU can do the rear main seal for FREE. :bounce:

Hey, I like that. I'll drop it off and pick it up in 2 hours. COOL.:loveletter:

IMHO "anal" and "Bubba" are on the opposite ends of the same scale. Depending on the particular item being addressed, there are times where one might well get away with some Bubbafication, while there are others where highly precise workmanship is necessitated. As for items for which there is debate where on this scale one ought to be, I'd think it always the better practice to err towards the "anal" side, and I personally can't bring myself to settle for less than craftsman-like work whenever it's practical to do a better job.

Engine building is obviously an area where opinions vary widely as to what practices are prudent and what are excessive. While one may get away with throwing parts together, such practice is akin to rolling dice - do it long enough and sooner or later your going to crap out. Full blown blueprinting may not be required in order to build a capable and reliable lump, but it is definitely worth doing if high performance is a priority, as seemingly insignificant details can and do have a substantial impact on output and durability.

Case in point... When I began campaigning my first dedicated [drag] race car, I relied on a highly reputable race shop to assemble the engine. A few weeks into the season it dropped a valve, and upon inspection I found a few tolerances out of spec from those specified. Did my own assembly work on the next bullet, built to the identical specs as before without compromise; the result being an engine that not only finished the season without another failure, but one which ran a few tenths stronger as well. Haven't paid anyone else to assemble an engine build since, and always get top notch machine work given they know I'll be back if something isn't on the money.

To me, that's prudence, but I digress... In large part this is one of those "to each his own" things with as many right answers as differences of opinion, but can we all agree that doing coast-downs to see which wax finish produces the least aerodynamic drag would be anal (don't be afraid to share the data if you've actually done it), and that hammering the strut rods out of shape to adjust rear camber is Bubba (best keep that one to yourself)?

:beer: