A Quiz

OK, here's the caption,

"Biil Jenkins used to use Cecil County as his home test track. I was there when Bill came down from Pennsylvania all by himself. He had his car on a truck, He took out these four big, brand-new Holley carburetors and clamped them into a vise that he had mounted on the bed of his truck. He then took a hack saw and sawed each carburetor in half by hand. He explained that Holley didn't build a caburetor that suited his needs, so he decided to just make one using the primary halves of two Holley carburetors. So he took rivets and epoxy and put the primary halves together, basically making his own carburetors there at the track. Then he bolted them on a dual four-barrel manifold and took the car onto the track. I don't remember the exact times but I do remember he was running a lot quicker than anyone at Cecil County."

Gotta love it.:smash:

You know, I thought I saw a seam going down, but was afraid to state that. I feel better about that now.

You right Bird, I never noticed that, but do NOW.....

:harhar::thumbs:

Grumpy was known to have an engine that would idle, which most all his competitors didn't, and if they did they didn't make the horsepower his did.

By using the primaries of 4 carbs he was able to tune the idle fuel circuits in all 4 barrels instead of the engine running on two idle circuits trying to compensate for the secondaries which normally didn't have them.

One of the reasons for the idle and crisp off idle throttle response his engines were known for.

So wouldn't it effectively make it just like four 2bbl carbs? Almost seems easier to make a single manifold to operate four deuces. But then again, I ain't no Grumpy.