97 camaro abs inop light on

You need a Tech II or equal to read the ABS code from my experience. A high quality Snap-on might do it

I've had that light one a few years ago on my Z28.... took the car up to 70-80mph and slammed on the brakes.... ABS worked just fine ....
I cleaned the sensors and that fixed it .... did you try that ???

I've had that light one a few years ago on my Z28.... took the car up to 70-80mph and slammed on the brakes.... ABS worked just fine ....
I cleaned the sensors and that fixed it .... did you try that ???

I know my abs will not work because it skids at any speed now. I also noticed tail light issues that come and go as well as my cruise control won't work now.

Used to be if i hit the brakes hard the low traction light would come on then the abs would kick in. Doesn't do that anymore, now just locks tires up.

how did you clean sensors?

i cleaned inside the hub, if I remember correctly there are serations (teeth) in there, .... if that is gummed up with trash then the computer won't know if the wheel is turning or not....
don't think that signal is also used for the cruise control but if it is then that would cause issues for the cruise control as well....

Corrosion between the wheel bearing and sensor is a very common problem that normally results in a low speed activation and no codes so that probably isn't the problem. You need to have the code pulled with a factory level scan tool. Most auto shops will have a scan tool that will do that with your Camaro.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Corrosion between the wheel bearing and sensor is a very common problem that normally results in a low speed activation and no codes so that probably isn't the problem. You need to have the code pulled with a factory level scan tool. Most auto shops will have a scan tool that will do that with your Camaro.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Our 95 Firebird had problems with the wires to the sensors being broken internally (from chassis to wheel) resulting in an intermittent ABS issue.

Was a bad fuse, didn't know but there are some fuses under the hood and this one powers the abs relay. New fuse and no more problems.