1972 rear shell

6-71

Can anyone tell me if a '72 body shell will bolt to a '75 frame easily?:huh2:

IF you have a decent enough unbent '72 frame, you can fairly easy take the '75 frame and weld on the needed parts from the '72 frame, but they are different....not really totally aware of every piece though....

:thumbs::smash:

This site explains the differences among the C-3 frames.
http://www.71corvette.com/frames.html

With that description, I would think you could make the 75 frame work, if you had a decent front and rear frame section to graft on the 75. The problem is the 75 was made for the rubber nose and rear with the shock absorbers in the frame. It seems the body mounts would be easy to make work, but the rear steel bumper brackets needs the proper crossmember out back. The front is more critical, since a 72 has the V shaped crossmember and not the heavy crashbar, as the 75. As I say, if you have those 72 frame parts, or want to buy them to graft on, you can make it work. It would be much easier to buy a 68-73 C-3 frame and you are done.

The last 18" - 24" on the 75 is different that the 72 I think there is differences with the front as well but not %100 sure

Thanks all, sounds like it can be done 'relatively' easily... problem areas being the bumper brackets & setup?:thumbs:

Make it easy on yourself and leave the bumpers off.

thum_5349076000bc170.jpg

Have to say that does look good:thumbs: Aren't you worried about sitting on 20 gallons of highly volatile 'explosives' without any protection?:twitch:

6-71;75387Have to say that does look good:thumbs: Aren't you worried about sitting on 20 gallons of highly volatile 'explosives' without any protection?:twitch:[/QUOTE said:
I don't think the chrome bumpers offer much protection. The brackets they're attached too look like they'd easily deform. Also consider the outside ends of the rear bumpers ---- they just bolt onto the fiberglass!! (at least this is true for the 68,69 and 70.) Don't know about later years.

I think it's the rear spare tire that offers the most probection for the fuel tank. Alas, I've removed my spare tire and carrier to save the nearly 50 pounds.

Yep, if your C3 gets a rear end collision with full tank of gas, it's a dangerous situation.

[
Yep, if your C3 gets a rear end collision with full tank of gas, it's a dangerous situation.[/QUOTE]

EEEEEEEEK!:twitch: I can see why they put the large fenders on now!...mmmmmmmm...Kentucky fried Chicken...mmmm!

Last edited:
Eeeeeek!

Well, there's no turning back now....bought the '72 rear end shell and it is now hovering over my '75 chassis! I'm also looking for an asbestos driving suit...Just in case! Have noticed one or two minor differences between the shells that will need sorting. Anyone else insane enough to do this swap let me know and I'll keep you up to date with the differences and how to get round them:search:

Yes, post updates. A lot of people talk about doing this swap, few have done it. Haven't seen anybody post a step by step.

Will do guys...getting the chassis blasted and sorted first before the body drop... will start posting then :beer: