10in wide Corvette rallies?

robrocks

I found a pair of the Corvette style steel rallies that are 10 in wide.I did not know they had these.Would they be aftermarket?Also what I want to know is would they fit ok on the back of my 82 and what about 295/50/15 tires?Thanks

Definitely not stock. The only way to know if they would fit is to measure the backspace (assuming they are the correct bolt pattern). A standard c3 can accommodate a 4" backspace. In original form, the 8" wheel with a 4" backspace put the mounting hub exactly in the center of the wheel, presumably to balance the load on the hub bearings. Going with a 10" wheel will load the outer bearing more than the inner bearing. It's not a huge deal but be weary of bearing wear. Others that have the big wheels and fenders can chime in.
The best way to know, obviously, is to fit them. If that's not an option, your best bet is to take measurements. First, verify the bolt pattern is the same. As I recall our cars use a 5x4.5" pattern, but you have to be aware that Chevy used several different patterns for different applications and you cannot just "eyeball" measure them. The other major measurement is to lay a flat surface across the back of the rim (2x4 or something similar) and then measure the depth from that to the back of the mounting surface. It should be 4" to fit without hitting the trailing arm. You could possibly be OK at 4.5", but I suspect the tire might contact the trailing arm. Anything greater than 4.5" will guarantee modifications to fit correctly. Anything less and you really start putting some additional load on the bearings, plus you'll have to deal with a wheel/tire that sticks out considerably from the fender.
I think a 295 should fit just fine on a 10" rim.
Now that I've said all that, I personally think you should save your money and find a set of 16" or 17" (or 18") wheels that fit your taste. Your tire selection is going to be far better now and the prices are getting pretty reasonable. It won't be long before you are going to have to special order a 15" tire wider than 6" from a specialty manufacturer. And then, the 17" tires on the shelf are going to be cheap by comparison.

Clutch, above is totally correct, IMO.....gotta stay with the times....

have to look close at what is around out there for cheep....been my approach for the car hobby/hotrodding for many a decade....

:rose::stirpot::clap:

Bolt pattern is 5X4.75" - not 5x4.5" (that's Ford) :amused:

Here's a pic of the 10" wide Rally wheel mounted on a C3 with a 295-50-15 tire - I took this photo back in 2006 at a show. Not sure if the flares are way off center or if the trailing arm is bent. It sure won't fit under the stock fender.

IMG_9199Small.jpg

OK.I measured the backspace and its only 3.5 inches.So do you think it may stick out the wheel wells to far?

Without flares there's no way they will fit.
A 3.5" backspace wheel will have 7.5" "dish" or forward space...thats 2.5" more than stock, so you would have to jack the rear way up in the air to make sure there would be no wheel to fender contact..not a nice look IMHO.

Nick

A 3.5" backspace wheel will have 7.5" "dish" or forward space...thats 2.5" more than stock, so you would have to jack the rear way up in the air to make sure there would be no wheel to fender contact..not a nice look IMHO.

Nick

Not only that, but the increased offsets will add extra loading on the suspension and BEARINGS, I kept the same wheel centerline as stock, because of those reasons....:smash:

Thanks for the great advise.I get the hint.You guys just saved me time,money and possible damage to my baby.Great site and again THANKS.

I think you can have 10 in, rally wheels custom made with Wheels Vintique

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/custombckspc.jpg

they have also 16 or 17 but not sure about the ring ans center cap
http://wheelvintiques.myshopify.com/products/16-and-17-rallye-66-series

I have Wheel Vintiques 17 inch Rally look alikes made of aluminum. I like their appearance. But....Wheel Vintiques, unless some changes have been made, have lousy customer service. They don't list a telephone number. I needed to order an extra hub cap for the rally's. To send them a message I had to fill out a very detailed form that required a lot of information that was irrelevent for my need. I finally got the hup cap (center cap) months later. BTW their rally hub caps look like stock, but the stock caps won't fit their wheels. Their wheels don't come with the stock stainless trim rings ("Beauty Rings). The wheels are polished aluminum, so at a distance, they look like they have the trim rings on them.

Last edited:
I run 15x10's with 4" backspace under stock flares

With my 27x10 hoosiers it stuck out a little but the 26.5x10 goodyears I have now fit under way better.

I'll take some pics if I remember.

Here are the hoosiers

101_1820.jpg

Nick

Is my math screwed up? Wouldn't that give you 6.5 dish? I'm just sayin...........

Nope....a 15 x 10 is physically 11" wide, the 10" measurement is the tire bead mount width.
It gets even more confusing when you consider that backspace is measured using actual wheel width, but offset is measured using the tire bead mounting width.

Nick

Last edited: