1970 Repaint in the garage

Double_take

Just after the new year I began the tedious process of stripping all the paint off of my lovely pink colored car. Here is the progress.

After countless hours of fiberglass work, filler and sanding its back to one color!!!

Ill let the pictures do the talking. Im worn out.

Prepping the car earlier this evening...

IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg

Results:

IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg

Doors
IMG_0188.jpg

Glass t-top
IMG_0189.jpg

Hood
IMG_0190.jpg

I got rid of the seam line. The urathane bumper is far from perfect, but for my current purposes its good enough.
IMG_0194.jpg

Looking good mate. It looks like you were working in a cave, or is that just the way the camera took the pic?

I'll just bet you're looking forward to rubbing the primer back :amazed: Are you going to put a guide coat on the primer? You probably already know but something new to me that I saw last time I went home (been out here 10 years and away from body work and painting) is that you can get a guide coat that you don't spray on, it's some sort of powder (can't remember what) that you "dab" on with a big brush.

Have you decided on a colour yet?

Thanks guys.

Saudi: The garage was well lit, its just the way the camera took the pics. I had also turned off some of my lights. 3M makes a product that meets your description. I tried to get some, but everywhere was sold out until June. I assume its a good product. lol

The manager at my local sherwin williams tracked some down for me. It should do the trick for the 600 grit. I used the spray method for the 320 grit.

PICS....PICS.....PICS.........

We know it's painted now........:D

VetteMod needs pics as well.

You probably already know but something new to me that I saw last time I went home (been out here 10 years and away from body work and painting) is that you can get a guide coat that you don't spray on, it's some sort of powder (can't remember what) that you "dab" on with a big brush.

p27273c.jpg

I admit i ignored vettemod when it came to the most recent pics. The project isnt done quite yet. 1500 sanding is done, car is clean and masked for tomorrow's round 2 of clear. Im using a slower HOK reducer and have been brushing (no pun intented) on my painting techniques. This coat should come out much more smooth and require less sanding. I will have updated pics very soon.

Interesting topics, that's something I want to do in the future too, paint it myself.

Idiot paint shops here want 6K + for a run off the mill, nothing fancy paint job.

I shot the second round of clear on tuesday and got some pics last night after I took the mask off. Its now wetsanding and buffing time. Expect a finished product in time for BG!

IMG_0200.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg

Interesting topics, that's something I want to do in the future too, paint it myself.

Idiot paint shops here want 6K + for a run off the mill, nothing fancy paint job.

You should definately give the body work a shot. Find a reliable guy to paint it if your not going with a plain color (ie not metalic or pearl). With some research and persistance its not that hard.

Indeed interesting, but I think a good paintjob is very difficult without a good ventilated booth and then some.

They charge 40€ for the rent of a booth over here.

A friend of mine painted his car (Nova 73) in his home garage like you did, everything went well and smoothly until we started the spraying...
Primer got the neighbors attention then we sanded for a couples of days so they kind of forgot about us.
Sprayed the paint and clear coat, now that got them really pissed.

A couples of coats of clear.
Lots of wet sanding (with the garage doors closed so neighbors couldn't throw rocks at us) and buffing and it was a pretty decent job.

I would do it again but would prepare as much as I can at home and try to rent a paint booth for the spraying.

The dry guide coat is a decent product(I have used it before) but I use only black lacquer, either from a gun or a spray can, now. It may not be as much of an issue on most applications, but if you are blocking out the filler the dry guidecoat often won't get into the smaller crevices like the spray will. An old school bodyman at the local custom shop taught me that one.

with a correctly adjusted HVLP gun you should not have that much overspray.... if you spray in your garage you should be fine, now if you spray in your driveway with wind blowing at 10mph then you're asking for trouble (pissed off neighbors).