holes in housing

hkc3

I just opened the box with the rearend and noticed two holes where they tapped 1/2 in. for the RG cap is this a major problem [it doesnt look good],is this case junk,I dont see any cracks coming off the holes on is in the web,does this happen occasionally.I'll try to post some pic,s.:skeptic:

I tried I cant get my pics to upload.When I click on the quick upload to download pics it jumps back to a blank [reply to thread[ window

Your pic must be too large. Go to the image hosting pink up top and then to upload. There's a download for a mcirosoft image resize plugin. After installing you can right click any number of images in windows explorer and select the resize tool to resize them.

Okay Im not computer literate, I downloaded it,cant find windows explorer- sorry. Gotta go to work Ill try thur.

start -> run and then type explorer and hit enter. That will bring up explorer

If you really can't get it working, send me the pics twinturbo @ home.nl and I'll send you the resized ones but for me it's easier if you DIY :)

Kind of difficult to see what I'm looking at but it looks to be the side of the case judging by the large rib and seeing the lid flange. Anyway is this on the drivers side? They may have broken through the casting when drilling oversize for the larger allen head bolts for the cap.

Marck
I think you're correct but the pictures are not clear enough. If there is a hole through the housing at the area under the bearing cap on the LH side I would agree and I would not use the housing, in fact I doubt Tom would sell one like that.

Both of the ring gear bolt holes were drilled out the front of the housing one through a rib,also found a broken tooth in one of the side gears not the spyders but the small one.The guys supposed to make it right next week. Im not sure how short of a refund.

I would send it back, sounds like a junk posi to me. Is that the unit advertised on CF as a toms unit?

Yes but-Not exactly It mas insinuated it was probably a old pepe build. My bad for bieng naive and impatient.

Last edited:
Did the guy mention the broken spider? If not, you have a reason for returning it right there.

Says he didnt know about the holes or the tooth,says he has another housing but i would have to get it modified,says he will pay to replace tooth.I just want to start over with another rear. I cant force him to take it back he's in Ca. im in Ill.

Why can't you force him to take it back? He didn't properly advertise what he was selling, so let him eat the shipping bill. Why should you? You paid but received something that was not what you expected. So, after spending money on a ready to drop in, in good condition rear you now have to have it rebuilt, source for another housing, have it modified..blablabla..... sounds to me like you would have been cheaper off buying the parts and having it sourced out from the get go.

I think the guy who sold it bought it cheap somewhere (ebay?) and then decided to dump it. If he had actually ran it himself he would have noticed the broken spider and the holes.

See that a lot, especially "over there". So called "racers" who buy stuff on ebay and then start whining that their top dollar part went kaput, yet forgot to mention they got it off the bay for next to nothing or buy stuff (like wheels) cheap, say they are new (with 20y/o VW tires on them) and then unload it on some other poor soul claiming they were brand new and so on. Bottom line, there's a bunch of scumbags out there.

This is it right? With all the pics he took, he would have seen the busted spider. How convenient it's not in the pics.

Also, the ring gear is rubbing on the housing. it's not clearanced enough.

248397a14679c0.jpg

248397a14e1aea.jpg

248397a1573d2b.jpg

248397a15df3eb.jpg

248397a165dd97.jpg

248397a16ce28b.jpg

248397a17408e3.jpg

yes thats it,other than demand a refund what if any recourse do I have.I haven't purchased very much from individuals on internet.

Not to make you feel bad but I doubt that is a Tom's or even a Pepe Estrada job, if Pepe is even alive?
If the posi pinon gear( 10 tooth) is bad then there may be damage to the others. the housing is tapped through, and the Ring gear is rubbing. That, plus as the kid said a few weeks ago, the posi isn't tuned. I would raise hell and get a full refund that unit is in need of attenion and would cost more then starting with a good core and building it.
Are the gears Richmonds? If so they'll have a double diamond stamped on them. The steel cap is nothing like the steel caps I have which are purcahsed directly from Tom.
Sorry to hear of this. We all make mistakes but someone would have seen oil leaks and heard those spiders.