Very likely to be my last winter in NW Illinois

Fuelie74

After several years of me complaining about winter and Illinois in general my wife has agreed to move! She said she would settle on Tennessee, while that's not quite as warm as I was hoping for it is by far an improvement! So far the plan is to move sometime between summer and fall of 2011. Now I guess I need to start selling all of my unneeded crap that I have been saving for someday!
:drink::drink::drink:

I don't think I would like winter in Illinois either.... That is good news, moving forward is always a good thing. I wish you the best of luck with everything!

:drink:

Where in NW Ill? I grew up in Chicago. Great town but the winters suck bigtime!

I am in Greensboro NC now where winter usually starts around xmas and ends in February and is usually mild with 1 or 2 snows that don't last long. There is always the threat of an ice storm which can shut things down for a couple of days, but all in all it is a much better climate than Chgo.

Good luck with the move!

Where in NW Ill? I grew up in Chicago. Great town but the winters suck bigtime!

I am in Greensboro NC now where winter usually starts around xmas and ends in February and is usually mild with 1 or 2 snows that don't last long. There is always the threat of an ice storm which can shut things down for a couple of days, but all in all it is a much better climate than Chgo.

Good luck with the move!

Warren, IL. Its near to Galena, IL on Stagecoach trail. So 1 mile from WI and around 35 miles to IA.

Afterthought, look up Deals Gap, Tenn., drive the Tail of the Dragon!

Thanks, I will definitely try and squeeze that into our trip down in December. My wife is very focused on Johnson City right now, so that isn't to far out of the way.

As much as I love Chicago this desert boy could not and will not survive their winters.

I've looked a lot at Tennessee for retiremnet and they seem to have a lot of advantages.

congrats, good move..... :thumbs:

I'm here in FL for almost ten years, live is great without ice and snow.

In TN or NC you have mountains and seasonal changes but a relatively mild and short winter, great area to live :drink:

The older I get, the more the winter just wears me out. It's not only the cold, it's the lack of sunshine. When they switch off daylight savings time, it will be dark here at 5:30!

I would like to move to Tenn, N or S Carolina, Ga area if I could.

Dark at 4:30 here in the winter but who cares it stays light until 10 in the summer.

Come on down to Florida, we enjoy our cars year round, houses are cheap, and there's no state income tax!! :D

:banghead::drink: got THAT right......

lo property taxes too.....800/year on my 1600' house 1/4 acre....buy out in the country and get a farm exemption and pay like 300/year prop taxes.....

build you a LARGE go to hell garage, ......:rofl:

:rofl:

I grew up in Memphis and my parents now live in Chattanooga. Definitely recommend eastern TN. Memphis is a hole. Nashville is not that bad but anything out of the Smokeys is going to be hot and sticky in the summer. I would love to live in the Smokey mountain range. Beautiful area.

I grew up in Memphis and my parents now live in Chattanooga. Definitely recommend eastern TN. Memphis is a hole. Nashville is not that bad but anything out of the Smokeys is going to be hot and sticky in the summer. I would love to live in the Smokey mountain range. Beautiful area.

Everytime someone mentions the Smoky Mountain region.....I have to laugh at a recollection off the right side of the interstate from I 81 heading west toward Nashville......

so on this barn roof, clearly visible was this sign.....

welcome to BUCKSNORT , TENN.......

I about wrecked the car.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

There truly is such a place. Been through there myself, don't blink! You'll miss it. But don't forget "Toadsuck, Arkansas". No shit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_Suck,_Arkansas

This was about '70 or so, and long story but on a trip to Texas, where my buddy from HS is still.....I left Texas and moved back to DC, after the g/f breakup and job shituation fell through....

and so after first divorce, I spent about 4 months with my cousin in NORTH Little Rock Ark.....never seen Toadsuck, too busy working for the lawyers/living/dating/ but due to economics, back to DC....shame really....hated the town even back then....

but it was the times.....customers for fixing TV sets....

but that whole Oriental invasion is why I can't do the electronics any more....

but there is NO question I would like to see those mountains my cousin's house was on, they were the lower end of the Ozarks....
GREAT VIEW outta that dedicated batch pad he was in.....

tons of funny stories about that too.....

the BEST is....him and his g/f Nancy scared shitless of MICE....and so he asked me to get rid of some mice one day...so I bought a few traps, and some cheese....

sure enough, over night the traps go off.....

next AM he wakes me up as he leaving for work,and specificlly requests I dispose of the mice in the traps he heard snap overnight....

now, I swear on a stack of Bibles...this is totally, absolutely true.....

I go around a pick some 4 mice from the traps...and so the house is one of them mountainside cliffhangers....back deck looks out over a literal cliff, back sliding doors to the deck about 2 stories off the ground are locked, it's about 1.5 stories from the kitchen/living room to the upstairs to the street/garbage can level.....

not wanting to toss them into the trash, and not climbing stairs that early before me first cup of java.....I thought of kitchen trash....no....

toilet did not enter my mind for some reason.....

so what do with the mice.....?? kitchen drain...GARBAGE disposal.....

grind them thing UP, down the hatch.....

so cousin comes home that evening, with Nancy/girlfriend of the times.....ask what I DO with the mice....

I hesitated due to HER....but when prodded with 'out the back deck'? no, locked doors, no key....

garbage?? no.....

kitchen trash?? no....

toilet?? I grinned.....no.....

the dumb bastard HAD to insist on asking.....

he must have seen my grin, or something, and said NO, NOT^ that...

I said they didn't grind very long....hit the switch and CASE CLOSED.....

Nancy about went ballistic, Jason, my cousin went all krazy.....

I still don't see the issue about the tissue.....

they were DEAD afterall....

jeez, some people are just all Nancy and all...I guess.....

:bonkers::harhar::flash:

Come on down to Florida, we enjoy our cars year round, houses are cheap, and there's no state income tax!! :D

Florida was one of my top choices actually. I have a friend that moved to Winter Haven last August and keeps telling me to move there to, but my wife said no way.

I lived in Nashville while I went to tech school and really enjoyed it there. Unfortunately I moved back to IL because of meeting my wife while home for the holidays. It's a shame to because I worked at a Mercedes Benz shop and was offered the option to buy.

Nashville is not an option anymore because of kids and the fact that Nashville isn't known for good public schools.