WooHoo, I'm done!

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
Just to answer Steve, and update everybody else who has shown concern for me over the last few months, I wanted to post an update.
Original thread here: http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5824
I finished my chemotherapy and radiation treatments just over a week ago. I am currently taking a few weeks off treatment to recover. I'm not done, but the worst is over. I have to take a few weeks off to heal as the radiation has burnt the shit out of my neck. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the radiation they gave me to kill the cancer ended up giving me melanoma.
So I get scans in about three weeks to see what the tumor looks like and most likely I will have some follow up chemotherapy but otherwise, I'm pretty much done.
I still can't eat food. I can drink but eating is still a little rough. I'll probably be pretty good by next weekend. Doesn't really matter as I can't taste anything anyway. Taste buds are fried. They'll come back too, in a few weeks hopefully. I'm "eating" by way of a tube in my stomach. I have to blender whatever I eat so I'm restricted to mostly soups and canned meals like "Chef Boy Ardee", which would be nasty if I could taste it. But that's OK. Like I said, I'm getting better, a little better every day.
So in a week or two, I should be pretty well recovered for now.
The down side is that they nuked so much of my neck and mouth that they have killed my saliva glands. They may grow back but it may take years, if ever. In the mean time, I have hellateous dry mouth. Just something I have to live with. But better than the alternative.
So thanks to all those well wishers and I do appreciate it. For any one who has to to through this in the future, or know someone who does, I'm here.

Glad to see you are on the road to recovery! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

As a just-joined newbie, I didn't know what you was getting thru.
You have my deepest respect, for staying upbeat while enduring this harsh moment, I'm pretty sure staying optimistic is putting you on the recovery path.
Keep on fighting!!!

CD, I think of you and yours when I see you post, and wonder, and your good news is nice to hear, glad to see your upbeat attitude there....hell of a battle, but hang in there man...get out and cruise, that makes for good times.....:clap: :cool:

Clutch, you've got it exactly right. "Better than the alternative." Keep up the great attitude and you'll do fine.

Glad to hear that your starting to feel better.

Good news indeed! It's amazing what the right attitude and modern medical technology can accomplish. Stay strong.

Fantastic news mate. I reckon losing your saliva glands is a fair trade-off :thumbs:
You gonna have to take extra care of you teeth, saliva is know to protect teeth, keep you mouth well hydrated. Well... I guess doctors already told you that.