Remembering my best friend

racervette69

Underachiever
Some of you guys know, my father took his life in Nov due to some health issues and the down turn in the stock market. He was losing his eye sight and was not able to compete in this years hillclimbs. I found him in his truck on the morning of the 25th of Nov, after he failed to come home that night.

It has been a heavy load to carry. He was the most caring understanding father a person could have. He was truly a great man.

He took me to my first hill climb while I was still pissing on myself. VIR in the 60's watching the cobra's and vette's battle, he pulled for the cobra's, myself, always the vette's.

I shared his love of hillclimbing and road racing with him for many years, serving as each others crew. He loved triumphs and his old bimmer #140 that I built for him.

We still have the 1963 TR4 he bought new, he drove it over to the house a number of times this summer. I live in another town about 30 miles away. He always had the top down. The same car we took to all the hillclimbs and club races before we started racing. I wouldnt ride with him anymore, which now I feel guilty . He worried me every time he said I'm coming over.

This is the first time I have been able to write about it. two of the hillclimbs will be named in his honor this year. He kept hillclimbing alive in NC after losing Chimney Rock and Beech Mt. hillclimbs.

Godspeed Pop! Godspeed!!

15ec.jpg

Tommy my friend we are all sorry for your loss....remember the good times it sounds like you had plenty of them.

Words cannot express my sincere condolences for the sorrow and anguish you must feel upon the tragic loss of your father. May he live on through heartfelt stories, and your memories of enjoying life together.

Tommy, I think I can say we all offer our deepest sympathies. Life can hurt sometimes, and at other times joyous. As life progresses, your mind will filter out the bad, and remember the good. It's just life's way.:goodevil:
Time will heal this wound also, and, in the future, you will race again. Because, you will remember the good times, and rediscover why your father loved the sport, and all will be okay again.:drink:

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Remember the good times with your dad, they will always be there and lift you up when you need it the most.

Paul

Condolences from our side too Tommy, I can't begin to understand what you went through and are still going through. Remember the good times, they will be with you forever.

Hey Tommy, remember the good times, not all get to do that. You and your Dad are a step up from many. Thanks for sharing and best wishes.

Tommy, what you maybe want to do is when the next season comes along, take your dad's car out for a spin, but do it with a GRIN....as surely that is what he would want.....:beer:

Your post brought back many memories....My sis became a widow in '85 on TG day...and the following year on my anniversary with the Ex...my father passed on....

hopefully things go well for you......:drink:

I can't even imagine what you were and still are going through.

I can and it sucks. My father had a fatal heart attack 3 weeks before i graduated college. You never get over it. NEVER That's why i'm so fucked up.

I'd like to hear some more stories about your father, racervette.

I can't even imagine what you were and still are going through.

I can and it sucks. My father had a fatal heart attack 3 weeks before i graduated college. You never get over it. NEVER That's why i'm so fucked up.

I'd like to hear some more stories about your father, racervette.

That really would hurt, three weeks,, how sad.

Guys, thanks for the kind words and encouragement, this has really helped easing the pain.

I know however, there are many, that have suffered far greater losses than myself. Again, Thank you in ways you will never know all of you!!

Last edited:
I'm not as eloquent on these matters as some of the previous posts, I merely wanted to echo their sediments and offer condolences.

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father when I was 8. Never had the chance to discuss cars with him, let alone race them with him, would have been fun though. What made him take that step ?