Chrysler closes it's doors

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
Tonight's news.
Chrysler to close it's doors for at least 30 days. 46,000 workers to be laid off, will collect unemployment benefits and some compensation from Chrysler. Upper level mgmt. will stay on the payroll.

Is it coincidence that they plan to stay closed until after Obama takes office?

Tonight's news.
Chrysler to close it's doors for at least 30 days. 46,000 workers to be laid off, will collect unemployment benefits and some compensation from Chrysler. Upper level mgmt. will stay on the payroll.

I heard on the news tonight that the workers will receive 95% of the regular compensation while they're laid-off. Gee, I wonder why the big three can't compete?

GM is next, then ford! I don't see Mexico and the others offering to bail them out. Whats with closing the plants here first and not the off shore. Our infrastructure is in shambles thanks to greed! Will it take a nuke to turn this all around!

Chrysler's financial backers have plenty of money. PLENTY.

They can easily keep the company afloat. Yet they won't.

So if they won't, why should the taxpayer?

If they go down, let them go down. I can live with it.

I wonder who has the real facts.

Chrysler ordinarily shuts down operations between Dec. 24 and Jan. 5. This closure would add roughly two weeks to that shutdown.

Chrysler's UAW employees will receive 95% of their hourly wages and benefits during the shutdown. Non-plant workers won't receive compensation during the period.

Both GMAC and Chrysler Financial are trying to receive federal assistance under the TARP program. GMAC is affiliated with General Motors, which owns 49% of the finance company. The other 51% of GMAC is owned by a consortium of investors led by Cerberus, which owns Chrysler and Chrysler Financial.

Chrysler ordinarily shuts down operations between Dec. 24 and Jan. 5. This closure would add roughly two weeks to that shutdown.

Chrysler's UAW employees will receive 95% of their hourly wages and benefits during the shutdown. Non-plant workers won't receive compensation during the period.

Both GMAC and Chrysler Financial are trying to receive federal assistance under the TARP program. GMAC is affiliated with General Motors, which owns 49% of the finance company. The other 51% of GMAC is owned by a consortium of investors led by Cerberus, which owns Chrysler and Chrysler Financial.

Got a link for that? I'd like to use it.

Tonight's news.

I heard on the news tonight that the workers will receive 95% of the regular compensation while they're laid-off. Gee, I wonder why the big three can't compete?

I heard on the news that the sky is falling. Must be true.

Got a link for that? I'd like to use it.

It's been posted with links before, so it's probably true...sorry I don't have link either now....

:thumbs:

I was looking for the part where UAW workers get 95% and white collar gets nothing.

I was looking for the part where UAW workers get 95% and white collar gets nothing.

ABC news said they would recieve unemployment, and a small Chrysler subsidy. Hardly 95%. Most plants have a paid Christmas shut down anyhow.

Those statements were cut and paste right from the article word for word. Kidvette also heard it on the news.

I still wonder who has the real facts.

The article is a bit slanted, and represents in a way that is really kinda unfair.

Agreed. I blame the media for esasperating the whole economic mess. The constant gloom/doom reporting is only making matters worse. People with money are freaking out and waiting to see what will happen, and only making matters worse.
I also blame that idiot in the white house, for spending money like water. The "war" effort/rebuilding is one GIANT open checkbook, with ZERO return.

I also blame that idiot in the white house, for spending money like water. The "war" effort/rebuilding is one GIANT open checkbook, with ZERO return.

Yeah, that Sadam Hussein guy wasn't so bad. So what if he was responsible for exterminating 100s of thousands of Iraqi's. We could have let him be and saved our money, then we wouldn't have economic problems!

The economic crisis is worldwide, not just the US. I wonder why they are having problems, the "war" effort (that they are not involved in):bs:

So, to get back on track, you think "that idiot in the white house" is responsible for Chrysler closing plants for a month?

Yeah, that Sadam Hussein guy wasn't so bad. So what if he was responsible for exterminating 100s of thousands of Iraqi's. We could have let him be and saved our money, then we wouldn't have economic problems!Are we to be responsible for the actions of every dictator in the world? Look at a map. We could fight half the world.I have this problem withe the credibility of the US and the WMD BS.

The economic crisis is worldwide, not just the US. I wonder why they are having problems, the "war" effort (that they are not involved in):bs: The "world" crisis was a dominoe effect of our stock market.

So, to get back on track, you think "that idiot in the white house" is responsible for Chrysler closing plants for a month?
Only to a certain extent. Chrsler says it's the fault of the banks denying loans to would be buyers. Greed was the causation there. The "quick buck" lending mentallity got them there.
The whole housing market was a giant musical chairs machine, with everyone "hoping" the music would never stop.

Yeah, that Sadam Hussein guy wasn't so bad. So what if he was responsible for exterminating 100s of thousands of Iraqi's. We could have let him be and saved our money, then we wouldn't have economic problems!Are we to be responsible for the actions of every dictator in the world? Look at a map. We could fight half the world.I have this problem withe the credibility of the US and the WMD BS. Sadam Hussein exterminated his own people and Iranians with chemical weapons, around the world these are known as WMD! He also vowed to get more! Yeah, I think we need to control mass mrderers (not every dictator in the world).

The economic crisis is worldwide, not just the US. I wonder why they are having problems, the "war" effort (that they are not involved in):bs: The "world" crisis was a dominoe effect of our stock market. You beleive that our stock market valuation controls the worldwide economy? How do you explain times in the recent past when the US stock market has gone down dramatically and with very little effect on the rest of the word?

Only to a certain extent. Chrsler says it's the fault of the banks denying loans to would be buyers. Greed was the causation there. The "quick buck" lending mentallity got them there.
The whole housing market was a giant musical chairs machine, with everyone "hoping" the music would never stop.
The credit crisis wheels were put into motion in the early 90's, Bush was not president then. So, about Chrysler?

If people had mony to buy cars, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Henry Ford once said the most important employee at Ford is the salesman. No sales, no reason to buy cars.
Without a loan, few people can afford to buy a car. Banks, even though they got a HUGE Bush infusion of cash, are holding the purse strings. No $$-no car sales-overstock-no reason to make more. Economics 101.