Who uses a battery disconnect when not in use

When parking for more than 1 night, do you...

• Disconnect battery

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Nothing. My car doesn't draw down battery

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Ladybird

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

powerglide

I've got a battery disconnect switch mounted to the battery terminal. When the car sits for more than a day, I disconnect in case there's a short/draw...which I'm guessing there probably is.
My stock clock is one of the few out there that still works, and I'd like to keep it running. But disconnecting battery every time means setting it everytime... is there a better way?

do you know you have a leak, or is this just a precautionary measure? I'd say let her go and see what happens. If you've got a bad ground or short somewhere go hunting for it and you won't have to worry about it leaving you stranded when you forget to disconnect

I've got a battery disconnect switch mounted to the battery terminal. When the car sits for more than a day, I disconnect in case there's a short/draw...which I'm guessing there probably is.
My stock clock is one of the few out there that still works, and I'd like to keep it running. But disconnecting battery every time means setting it everytime... is there a better way?

You COULD tap the battery ahead of the disconnect, fuse it 10 amps, and run a clock feed seperately. (Also done for radio memory/ECM memory)

I always disconnect my battery,never know about this 30 yo wiring :suspicious:

There are some disconnects out there that have a small wire to hook up for memory like Bird was talking about.
And then there is a real cool one i saw in a Summit catalog,it hooks up to the bat and you have a remote to turn it off and on.

I have a electronic battery disconnect that is operated by a key fob, I use it so the honest thieves can't steal my Vette ;)

Where did you get it at? and how is working for you?
I have looked at getting one because i'm tired of going into the bat compartment all the time,which is a real PIA when the t-tops are back there :suicide:

Hmmm...I'm not posive I have a draw, but the previous owner hinted at it. (and he's the one who put the disconnect switch in)
I guess running a seperate wire for the clock is a way to go...as long as it's not the culprit!
Aside from the clock, I want to install a keyless entry system so I don't have to fight with the latches...that'll need it's own power to I suppose
:hi:

I'm interested in seeing this key fob thingy too.

The clock draws very little power,it only draws power about once every minute and that is when the points make contact and pop apart real fast to rewind the spring. When i clean and rebuild one i run them off a 9v radio bat for 24 hrs to make sure they are working right and keeping proper time,and so far i have tested 4 clocks off the same bat :shocking:

i've fitted the battery disconnect to all my cars even the modern ones. in one of them the battery disconnect was fitted with a new battery over five years ago ant the battery is still running strong!
:beer:

The clock draws very little power,it only draws power about once every minute and that is when the points make contact and pop apart real fast to rewind the spring. When i clean and rebuild one i run them off a 9v radio bat for 24 hrs to make sure they are working right and keeping proper time,and so far i have tested 4 clocks off the same bat :shocking:

Not to get off subject, but is it a difficult job to rebuild the clock? Last one I did, I just replaced the inerds with an aftermarket quartz type replacement.

Not to get off subject, but is it a difficult job to rebuild the clock? Last one I did, I just replaced the inerds with an aftermarket quartz type replacement.

No its not,as long as all the internal parts are still there the clock can usually be fixed. Here is a link to write up on how to do it.
http://members.aol.com/jjneyjr/clock/grepair2.htm
If you have any questions let me know i have repaired several that are still working :smash:

I have a electronic battery disconnect that is operated by a key fob, I use it so the honest thieves can't steal my Vette ;)

Where did you get it at? and how is working for you?
I have looked at getting one because i'm tired of going into the bat compartment all the time,which is a real PIA when the t-tops are back there :suicide:

I got it at Canandian Tire, and I love it. It has two disconnect modes, one keeps all the electrics running but you can't start the car. Then it also has a full disconnect you can hear it click, kinda like a relay. In this mode it is completely disconnected and you would have to reset your radio stations etc. One neat thing is you can hide it anywhere in the body or frame and NFW anybodies going to get your Vette (unless they have a flatbed ) because the battery cable is disconnected somewhere they can't get at.

I bought one for someone in the states a year ago or so, not sure if Canadian Tire still sells them :noworry:

Do you know who made the part is there a name on it? and if you don't mind sharing what was the price on it,the one in the Jegs magazine is $79.99,in there latest issue it is on the same page as the bats,and chargers.
It has 2 FOB's and can be mounted anywhere,keeps track of the bat voltage if it starts to get to low it will disconnect automatically,and can be reset with the FOB so you can start the car,sounds like what you have.

Have a main wire disconnect in my 70 LT-1 since it was new, same as we use in NHRA or IHRA Drag Cars, My clock quit way back in 70 so really this is not an issue. The battery disconnect offers considerable peace of mind when you are away from the car, not much chance of an electrical induced fire if the system is disconnected. Difficult to start as well if the BORROWER can't find where you hid the switch.

No battery quick disconnect for me, I use a battery tender instead. I had a quick disconnect but took it off because it's too much of a pain in the ass re-programming my radio every time.

I am using a main switch near the battery. If you want to sustain power for clock and radio a appox. 500mA fuse can be used over the switch. The fuse won't blow when opening doors. Mine acts as a safety switch and quick disconnect. Use this on the ground (earth/minus) cable. I reach the switch from the driver's seat.
DSC00944.jpg
DSC00956.jpg
Arne

Last edited: