Made a Thousand Dollar mistake...

Luster

Compulsively Anal
I was taking the driver side t-top off my car to put it in the bag and I slipped on something on the garage floor. (I think it was a crescent wrench).

I slid, the top when flying, and that sucker shattered! I am not happy.

But here's the good news. I've been making quite a bit of money detailing and polishing cars, so that will pay to replace it.

Still pretty painful though. I can guarantee I'll be more careful next time.:mad::mad::mad:

This is really hard to look at.

IMG_1375.jpg

Ouch! That blows!

Glad your ok. Could have been worse, could have hurt your back or something.

Yeah, the big guy went down, just a little sprained ankle, but nothing else.

Still pisses me off that I was stupid enough to leave a wrench laying on the garage floor.

:crap: that hurt's dude :ill: i'm always paranoid about handling mine,i would cry if i broke one of them :banghead:

Glad your okay. Sorry about the top. Good news is, the new ones will solve your fitment problem.:phone:

Ouch! That's the big drawback with those tops, they're so damn fragile.

I've "heard" that the color doesn't always match when you replace one of the tops, it seems the tint is fading over the years - might be better to buy a pair and sell the one you have left.
At least you did not hurt your back :thumbs:

Isn't glass covered by your insurance ?

Last edited:
I've "heard" that the color doesn't always match when you replace one of the tops, it seems the tint is fading over the years - might be better to buy a pair and sell the one you have left.
At least you did not hurt your back :thumbs:

Isn't glass covered by your insurance ?

I'm going to call Grundy Monday to see if it's covered. That would be great!

Yes, I'm getting a pair rather than try to buy one. Most of the ones I've seen on e-bay are kinda beat up anyway. Plus, like you said, they probably wouldn't match.

But, one thing's for sure, I'm going to handle the new ones like a case of eggs... VERY CAREFULLY!

Sorry man, but MY top is canvas so when I drop it, it don't break....

:shocking::shocking::shocking:

JUST HAD TO SAY IT, YOU KNOW.....:crap::censored:

Haha... yeah that would be nice! I can't imagine what those designers were thinking with they designed those tops for tempered glass! It's not even safety glass.

Should have been acrylic all along. (If they could make molded plastic tail-lights in '82, couldn't they have made molded clear plastic t-tops also?... ???)

Haha... yeah that would be nice! I can't imagine what those designers were thinking with they designed those tops for tempered glass! It's not even safety glass.

Should have been acrylic all along. (If they could make molded plastic tail-lights in '82, couldn't they have made molded clear plastic t-tops also?... ???)

YES, but look at the headlights of any modern car after some 4 years....all cracked/yellowed and foggy looking, then consider these are flat horizontal and not mostly vertical to the sunlight....

then the scratching from just dirt and washing....

which is why I used GLASS for my headlight mods....later Camaro bulbs, not some plastic cover I gotta fret over, and costs me MONEY to boot....

:bounce::bounce:

YES, but look at the headlights of any modern car after some 4 years....all cracked/yellowed and foggy looking, then consider these are flat horizontal and not mostly vertical to the sunlight....

then the scratching from just dirt and washing....

which is why I used GLASS for my headlight mods....later Camaro bulbs, not some plastic cover I gotta fret over, and costs me MONEY to boot....

:bounce::bounce:

Yeah, I guess that's why they used glass!:drink:

That's ashame to here about your top. You just got the AC fixed, and now it want do any good. I now of a guy here in town that got mad and cut an 81. I checked to see if he still has the T-Tops. I know that he still has the rear glass.

Your luck sounds a bit like mine. If it weren't for bad luck, we have none at all.:lol:

:drink:

If they pay they will most likely only pay for ONE piece and that's an OEM piece... now if you're lucky and they don't make these anymore you might get a pair.... sure the pair from f.e. Ecklers is cheaper than ONE GM glass top but logic and common sense very often doesn't apply when it comes to insurance companies....:smash: