reproduction parts inventory

Belgian1979vette

Guy,

For tech inspection I need to put my original engine back together and bring it back to original specs.

I was looking over the inventory on several parts houses, but it seems that since I last had to get parts from them their inventory for C3 parts has gotten a lot smaller. Am I wrong?

For engine parts probably less inventory. For everything else its seems the same. Does it have to "appear" to be the same or exactly the same?

Maybe Doc Rebuild or Paragon?

Well, for example I used to have catalogs of Eckler's, Zip etc. and it was pretty complete with tech drawings etc. Now it seems half is not there anymore...

Gentlemen:

When you say "half is not there anymore" – I assume you are referring to the availability of specific parts. That is not unexpected to me. GM continues to discontinue supply of older model parts. In years past the repro aftermarket fulfilled the need for their replacement.

Today the market for 53-62 parts is many decades into maturity. 63-67 parts market is also decades old. 68-82 part markets are also. In 1979 I was already making earlier C3 parts. These markets are saturated, matured & few will venture a repro that only fits a few models. Especially for the later year 68-82. The risk does not produce the reward, as the pool of sales is limited & the inherent model value does not support expensive replacements.

Many of the 1979 Engine parts are available from other GM carlines, especially V8 Chevrolet.

I dreaded the thought of returning my 1979 to US Connecticut emission standards. When in bought it in 1980 it has true dual exhaust, no smog. This 4 speed L-82 may have had some other engine enhancements. It was much quicker than the other cars. My wife sold it when it was required to pass emissions. This 1979 had a very interesting heritage.

http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/1979bluel82.html

PS BBShark Thank You for the referral. We plan re-opening July 1.

Gentlemen:

When you say "half is not there anymore" – I assume you are referring to the availability of specific parts. That is not unexpected to me. GM continues to discontinue supply of older model parts. In years past the repro aftermarket fulfilled the need for their replacement.

Today the market for 53-62 parts is many decades into maturity. 63-67 parts market is also decades old. 68-82 part markets are also. In 1979 I was already making earlier C3 parts. These markets are saturated, matured & few will venture a repro that only fits a few models. Especially for the later year 68-82. The risk does not produce the reward, as the pool of sales is limited & the inherent model value does not support expensive replacements.

Many of the 1979 Engine parts are available from other GM carlines, especially V8 Chevrolet.

I dreaded the thought of returning my 1979 to US Connecticut emission standards. When in bought it in 1980 it has true dual exhaust, no smog. This 4 speed L-82 may have had some other engine enhancements. It was much quicker than the other cars. My wife sold it when it was required to pass emissions. This 1979 had a very interesting heritage.

http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/1979bluel82.html

PS BBShark Thank You for the referral. We plan re-opening July 1.

So you're saying the market for repo parts for the C3 has gotten a lot smaller due to cars already having undergone a restoration and there is not enough money to be made...?

Low volume, low demand & low price are mutually exclusive in 68-82 Corvette repro parts. I've been in this market & signed the front of the paychecks for over 40 years - and it's not expanding. It's more loaded with chinese krap & that will continue. Regretfully GM continues to discontinue parts & no more 68-82 are coming down StLou/BowGreen line.

PS I opened my store, but will not resume shipping until July.
Truthfully when I sell out of many parts, will not replace them.