Rag Joint Misalignment?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Just saw a picture of a Jeep box conversion in a C3 where the person had used a rag joint. There was an obvious slight angle between the steering column and the steering box input shaft.

Is there some specification for safe angular misalignment for a rag joint?

Good info. I should have known that Jim would have a paper on this! From this, it looks like 5 degrees angular misalignment is acceptable (as lond as the shafts intersect in the center):

DESIGN BACKGROUND
The flex cplg serves several purposes:
First, it isolates and greatly reduces steering system and engine compartment noise from entering the driver compartment.
Second, the rubber disc provides vibration isolation from harsh tire and road feedback.
Third, the flex cplg is used to accommodate the design angle between the steering column and the steering gear input shaft (5 degrees maximum).
Fourth, the flex cplg takes up minor movement of the vehicle body relative to the frame.
Fifth, the flex cplg provides an electrical ground path for the horn.

I have seen flex cplgs that performed extremely well for over 100,000 miles as long as they were kept within their design limits and guidelines.

However, the flex cplg was not designed to take up misalignment between the gear and the column. Here is the difference. The angle between the gear and the column is the angle in which the theoretical column centerline and the steering gear input shaft centerline intersect. The intersection point of the column and the gear should be right in the middle of the flex cplg and should not exceed 5 degrees. Therefore, the laminated rubber disc flexes at the intersect angle.

A real problem arises if the column centerline and the gear input shaft centerline do not intersect. In other words the column doesn't point directly at the gear. Now the flex cplg has to stretch up, down, or to the side (as well as being placed at the design angle) just to attach the column to the gear. It is this stretching of the laminated rubber disc that quickly ends its useful life. Furthermore this misalignment causes the steering column flange to continually contact and wear through the stop pins. Misalignment also puts a very high stress on the steering column lower bearing.

:D Glad (cool) for once I can be of assistance rather than always taking.

Is there a difference in body flex between a 72 who has metal body mount and later models who uses rubber body mounts?

I would think that older models with metal body mounts not only transfer noises and vibrations more, they probably are more stiff sitting on the frame. Keeping the steering column and the box alignment better.

Then again, most of the flex comes from the flex of the "wet noodle" frame.

Frame flex is one reason why a single cardon joint is not a good connector between the C2/C3 steering gear and the steering column. There is no "give" with the universal joint and all movement between the frame and body is transferred to the lower steering column bearing.

Jim

Frame flex is one reason why a single cardon joint is not a good connector between the C2/C3 steering gear and the steering column. There is no "give" with the universal joint and all movement between the frame and body is transferred to the lower steering column bearing.

Jim

Jim, Does a rag joint have enough "give" to accomodate frame/body movement?

With the stop pins centered correctly, there is about 1/8 inch of "give" in the flex coupling assembly. That is evidently sufficient to take up frame flex and/or body to frame movement.

Jim

And still the lower column bearings are always shot

I would have to go look at it again, been a long time, but at one point I thought it was 'shot', did something, maybe even replaced it....can't remember which car, but I do remember changing one once....

but it's been 15 years since I fixed this TT column, and since it was outta the car and the shaft was previously collapsed/slid in/out easily during the rebuild,...it seems It would have been the one with the bearing replaced....

point is, so if that bearing is 'bad'...what is the symptom, and other than a bushing encased in rubber, why would we need one there anyway???

:huh: