Horn assembly and spring?

GT6Steve

Hey Amigos,

Among other minor chores I'm trying to get the horn fixed on the nasty 81. Years ago I took out the spring because the horn was blowing nonstop. Now I try to reassemble it I can't remember what was at the bottom of the spring. I think there was a bit of crumbly plastic but there's nothing coming up in my searches.

Everything at the top of the spring makes sense but the bottom platform has three contact blocks at 120 degree intervals. Two are tall and one is short. Any one of them touching ground sounds the horns. Is there supposed to be a locator or something to keep the spring centered on those contacts and not touching the C-clip?

I see nothing in the AIM or catalogs??

Hey Amigos,

Among other minor chores I'm trying to get the horn fixed on the nasty 81. Years ago I took out the spring because the horn was blowing nonstop. Now I try to reassemble it I can't remember what was at the bottom of the spring. I think there was a bit of crumbly plastic but there's nothing coming up in my searches.

Everything at the top of the spring makes sense but the bottom platform has three contact blocks at 120 degree intervals. Two are tall and one is short. Any one of them touching ground sounds the horns. Is there supposed to be a locator or something to keep the spring centered on those contacts and not touching the C-clip?

I see nothing in the AIM or catalogs??
Blowups on Jim's papers aren't enough?
I have one spare column with the head visible, let me take pics of it.

It does help! That yellowish plastic bit is what I'm missing! Plus the pic shows one of the two phenolic spaer rings I have with a bit of old heater hose cut between them. Please don't tell me the hose cut was a GM solution!

It does help! That yellowish plastic bit is what I'm missing! Plus the pic shows one of the two phenolic spaer rings I have with a bit of old heater hose cut between them. Please don't tell me the hose cut was a GM solution!
The last pic is from my rebuilt one, but the three first are from a spare that I believe have never been taken apart, so what you see if probably how it rolled out from the factory.

That "split heater hose" is actually a rubber bumper IIRC. Keeps the column from hitting really hard at full extension. Softens the blow, if you will. And that yellow plastic piece is still available at the dealers.

That "split heater hose" is actually a rubber bumper IIRC. Keeps the column from hitting really hard at full extension. Softens the blow, if you will. And that yellow plastic piece is still available at the dealers.

Correct on both counts Tim. The heater hose is a 5/8 inch long piece of 3/4 ID hose. Really makes a noticeable difference too. Mine was missing before and the difference is significant.

The plastic insulator is also available from any of the Corvette part houses too. Surprisingly expensive part.

Thanx guys! I appreciate the cumulative knowledge here. I finally found the piece in question at one of the usuals but it took some digging! It doesn't show in any exploded diagrams I've seen.

Driving in Vegas really demands a working horn.:censored: