HI guys

DARROW 74

Well havan't been on much.
but thought I would try again

New project ( due to timat)
I have the org 71 ls6 heads they are the ones that were used for the 425 +hp I also have hooker headers and side pipes " and will be installing a lS6 cam with solids using a org LS6 intake. with a anvenger carb.
the heads are at the shop for rebuild and I will be
painting the pipes as soon as I deside on what to
use on them any suggestions??????

PS This is going on my 74 454

Well havan't been on much.
but thought I would try again

New project ( due to timat)
I have the org 71 ls6 heads they are the ones that were used for the 425 +hp I also have hooker headers and side pipes " and will be installing a lS6 cam with solids using a org LS6 intake. with a anvenger carb.
the heads are at the shop for rebuild and I will be
painting the pipes as soon as I deside on what to
use on them any suggestions??????

PS This is going on my 74 454

You're not getting them dipped? :drink:

Most of what we sell here are Ceramic Coated. The problem with that stuff is the manufactures- Dougs/Headman -state do NOT use/start a new motor for the first time with them.:suspicious:

Last edited:
Go ahead Darrow, blame it on me. I have big shoulders, I can take it..:stirpot:

I swapped to the JetHot coated -- but it did say to NOT put them new on a new engine. If the engine is lean and the exhaust temp gets too high it could discolor or make the coating peel. The paint on them now is VHT Hi-Temp stuff. BTW:cool:

Go ahead Darrow, blame it on me. I have big shoulders, I can take it..:stirpot:

I swapped to the JetHot coated -- but it did say to NOT put them new on a new engine. If the engine is lean and the exhaust temp gets too high it could discolor or make the coating peel. The paint on them now is VHT Hi-Temp stuff. BTW:cool:

That's what I was tiring to say "NOT" but for some reason I didn't put it in. :footmouth:

At the advice of an old timer, I got good results heating the pipes to where the VHT would just "steam" as it was sprayed on (black Hookers). Cooking it on like that lasted for several years, but next time around I'm going Jet-Hot.

I tried it 2 ways, blasting, spraying on and then heating or heating and then spraying and them curing. ONLY the 2nd method gave good results. The 1st method left moisture in the rough surface leading to unsightly bubbles in the finish. I torched the pipes smokdering hot and then coated them, worked like a champ.