Hello to All

Tim

I'm new to the site but not new to corvettes. I recognize a few of you guys from the other site. Thanks for all the past help and many thanks for setting up this site. I'll tell you a little bit about myself.

It all started for me when I bought a 60 corvette with 427 3spd - ansen sprints, hooker side pipes, ratty primed paint $900 ... in 1972!!! It was quite a machine - the last time I filled it up, gas was 29.9 and I topped it off for $5.00. I emptied the tank in about 3 hrs driving around town. I replaced the trans about 4 times, the clutch twice, the rear ... 3 or 4 times. It started burning oil and I swapped it for a 69 roadrunner -that was a mistake! But, the engine started everytime, never overheated; always got me where I was going and was a daily driver for about 3 years.

I got an 85 about 12 years ago - it had 50,000 miles - now has 172,000, I've replaced a lot of parts on it. I put 30,000 miles on it in one year. Its currently down because it is slipping in 4th (700r4) and I'm currently rebuilding a 90 corvette 700r4 so I can just swap it in.

I've also got a 67 427/435 that last went down the road in 1972. I've had it about 20 years now and I haven't got too far with it - I don't have the room to do the bodywork. I have a front clip and nos rear fenders ready to install. It had flares all around; it was a street race car and it got wacked in the front so it was parked. When I got it, I started with the ncrs stuff and it got to be very boring looking for matching number nos parts. But it did satify my engineers disease - if I see a bolt, I just have to loosen it and remove it.

I also have a 68, a 70 and 77 - The 77 frame, drivetrain and suspension are all restored. I wanted to put the 68 body on it (I like the chrome bumper bodies instead of the rubber bumpers) but the 68 has some birdcage rust to deal with and it is a coupe instead of a vert so I kinda stalled out on it. If I could find the vert replacement body parts, I would get motivated ... maybe.

The thing thats had my attention for the last few years mostly is a 68 coupe with 427/L88 al heads, l88 manifold, cam, pistons & carb; m22; 3:08's. Its an original motor, 70 chevelle trans. Its got the vbp dual mt rear spring, the front spring and their upper and lower arms and the cross brace ... 15x10" and 15x8" american racing magnesium wheels; J56 brakes, koni shocks, new vbp rotors, offset trailing arms, ss brake lines. I've collected all the parts for the rack and pinion - turnone pump, borgeson joints (I've cut out and fit the brackets using 1/4" foam board - haven't finalized it yet), hydroboost, a 100 liter (35 gal) atl fuel cell, aluminum 3" radiator, dual spal fans, moroso electric water pump ... the frame is all welded ... per the chevy racing guidelines. The one weird problem I'm having is that the hooker side pipes have zero vertical clearance to the frame rail on the right side and 1/4" clearance on the left side. It has solid motor mounts so I'm sure what the deal is. The body has original L88 flares (been on there since the early 70's) and the RR headlight buckets. I think I'll eventually go with the 17 and 18" minilite type wheels.

I look forward to being on the site and pitching in where I can.

I'm in Pennsylvania midway between Philadelphia and NYC.

Strange how many posters seem to have similar car histories to me....

my first car was a '60 vette 283 powerslide and power windows....in '66

jumped into Pontiacs after that because of insurance had a whole series of them each faster by far than that uninsurable vette....

in '92 or so, I bought a '87 vette, sold it in favor of my '72 now....

which is the only hotrod left in the stable...used to have a bunch of them....

many friends are into Mopar muscle....cuda, RR's...the works...even old 440 police cars....:friends:

Welcome to the madness :bounce:

Gene, what are you talking about ? My first car was a Opel Ascona 1.3L engine with 75HP, 110mph top speed on a good day (Autobahn section with 45% decline or "free fall")...
After this humiliating experience I discovered my passion for fast cars ..:smash::smash::smash:

Hi Tim, welcome aboard mate :hi:

Gene, my first ride was a VW Beetle soft top :tomato:

OMG, my sis and her husband with the kids, some 50? years ago got hit head on in one of them things.....he was driving and got one of the very first stainless hip replacements on account of it....caused terrible pains and he never did walk well on it.....

'70 P/U, eh Kev?? interesting....a few of that generation has passed by in my crowd too.....been a while.....

:bounce:

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate that. I really look forward to reading through the site and picking up some tips on getting some of these improvements implemented.

Personally, I'm not interested in restoring my car back to the exact condition that it was in when it left the factory - I want to upgrade all the systems to make it a better ride. And for me, this is the ultimate ride and from what I've seen, VetteMod is the ultimate site for that purpose!

Tim