Front Spoiler vs Front Air Dam

T-Guy69

The factory spoiler on my 69 is long gone. I am having bodywork done after many years of damage. So, I thought this might be a good time to replace the spoiler.

Just so you know, the car is 50% street driven and 50% track time, mostly HPDE and Time Trials.

I could get the regular spoiler as shown in the pic.
But I do run air ducts to keep the brakes cooler on fast tracks and therefore the Air Dam with holes for ducting is a plus.

I have two concerns:

1) What will they do to the handling of the car?

2) With the F-41 springs up front and the car lowered one inch, will these become disposable and quickly damaged. I was thinking of duz fasteners to remove them for street use.

Comments please, especially if you have one or the other.

Thanks

Attachments

• Front spoiler.jpg
    Front spoiler.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Front air dam.jpg
    Front air dam.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 9
I have two concerns:

1) What will they do to the handling of the car?

2) With the F-41 springs up front and the car lowered one inch, will these become disposable and quickly damaged. I was thinking of duz fasteners to remove them for street use.

C3's are well known for front end lift at speed. The 2 best moves to reduce that:
  1. Lower the front with spring adjustments, and;
  2. Add an air dam or spoiler.
A removable/adjustable mod is a good idea if you have a lot of speed bumps to cross on your daily drive. But, take care how you add the fasteners - you want them to tear out the "sacrificial" dam and not the piece you are mounting to. If you can find some thin (1/8-ish) PVC for the spoiler it is cheap and wears before it tears, or else a thin sheet of lexan or fiberglass.

Hope that helps - the spoiler or dam will provide some front end "bias" as will the 1 inch rake adjustment. But that can be overcome with driver input, tire pressures, etc.

Cheers, and let us know how it goes. Jim

Last edited:
The first one I have seen before. They are not very tall so street driving might be OK if your careful. The deeper one with the air ducts probably not so good for the street