First "test" - new rebuilt O-ring calipers

MYBAD79

OK, I rebuilt the calipers with O-ring pistons and installed new rotors (drilled/slotted) on the front - while I did not expect the rotors to make a big difference the semi metallic pads seems to be a good step up from the organic $15 AutoZone pads that I used with the stock rotors.
I installed brake hoses with 5/8" hex at the connection to the caliper (stock size) - the SS braided hoses that I had for almost 5 years have a 9/16" hexagon that tears the copper washer if tightened too hard....
I checked rotor runout and it's below .004", I use DOT5 silicone fluid, I have no leaks and I got O-ring pistons :nuts:... the rear brakes are still stock.... I am testing this step by step :nuts::clobbered:

First impression after 30 miles: brakes feel definitely better than they ever have. The brakes are by far not as good as the brakes on the C6 but a lot better than they were with stock rotors, cheap organic pads and lip seal calipers.

I accelerated a few times up to 70-75, then applied the brakes to slow down to 30-40.... did that a few times just to see how the brakes "feel".... so far so good.....

The pads seem to work really good once they got a little temperature.

When I got home I noticed the paint on the calipers and rotor hats smell really bad, amazing how much temperature gets into these calipers.... never noticed that with the old setup, maybe the organic pads create less heat ????

Can't wait to get the rear done and the system bled with the pressure bleeder.....

When I got home I noticed the paint on the calipers and rotor hats smell really bad, amazing how much temperature gets into these calipers.... never noticed that with the old setup, maybe the organic pads create less heat ????

:rofl:

Did you rub the zinc coating off the rotors yet?

:lol:

I painted calipers before and it never smelled this bad.... ..could be their coating, I did not remove all of it, just hit it with 80 grit before I painted the hats black.

Nice to have it back on the road I'll bet.

So what's up with the DOT5? I hear so many people badmouth that stuff. Can't mix with DOT3/4, mushy pedal, yada, yada, yada........only for trailer queens like Turtles ride.....

Dot 5 for 15 years in my Oringydooed, HBoosted '72......even dumped the switch from the circuit....

:bounce::3rd: stops on a dime 9 cents change....

Nice to have it back on the road I'll bet.

So what's up with the DOT5? I hear so many people badmouth that stuff. Can't mix with DOT3/4, mushy pedal, yada, yada, yada........only for trailer queens like Turtles ride.....

Dot3/4 is corrosive, eats paint.... not good if you have leaks :)

I'm using this DOT5 silicone fluid since I first installed new brakes, lines and master back in 2004, no problems.