Brake noise when driving

BangkokDean

I have this annoying squeaky sound coming from my left front brakes that goes away when I apply the brakes. How can i fix this?
thanks

Details about calipers? Is this on your Corvette? Grinding a chamfer on the pads may help, a pad is dragging slightly and causing the squeel.

that gooyey stuff that you use on the back side of the pads works pretty good, I would think high temp RTV would do the same..... it glue the pads to the piston or caliper (if it's a floating calipper) ... it helps to pull he pads lighly away fom the rotor so they don't drag and squeel....if it's not that then it might be a restricted/collapsed brake hose ???

This is on my 80 Corvette with stock rotors and calipers. Really noticeable when driving by a wall or barrier. But if I give slight pressure on the pedal it goes away.

Some years ago they sold these split plastic tubes that fit on the ends of the pads and seamed to work but did not last long.

My drivers side rear used to go SQUEAK-squeak-SQUEAK-squeak like that. I got some stuff (I can't remember what it was called now, sorry, but it might have been a B&G product) that you smear on the pad and then heat the pad with a torch so it is absorbed. I also put a special lube on the cotter pins holding the pads to reduce any hanging up. Problem 95% solved, it squeaks so rarely now that it doesn't bother me anymore.

Just to let you know, if you did't already, the brakes on your Corvette go back to the technology of 1963. C3 Corvette brakes have a continuous parasitic drag...i.e. the brake pads are in continuous contact with the rotors. Modern disk brakes minimize this contact. If you've a warped rotor, it's going to make a squeak I think. If this is the case, the lubricant suggested to add between the caliper pistons and the back of the brake pads is not going to help.

As for rotors, there are some for sale at very cheap prices. Unfortunately, if you have a repair shop replace your rotors they may buy these very cheap rotors. The cheap rotors warp very easily.

I replaced the brake pads and rotors on my DD Thunderbird with premium parts. They chirped for about a month or so!!! Completely quiet now.

.......wish I had something substantial to say to help you out. Turn up the sound system .