Another money pit

rtj

Finally slowed down on my home improvement projects to get my Camaro running. It has sat for 5 years.

Everything was done to support 1200 hp, but the engine is just a beat/abused 502. Timing is locked and I need to mess with the 7531 box some more. I've got to pull the rad and install the crank support and intercooler.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acmlTb4Q1To[/ame]

The original plan was use the 502 to learn blower basics, but who knows where this will go. People say a 502/F2 can do over 800hp (with cam, et cetera ).

Last edited:
Not much left to do now. Modified the crank support for use with a procharger.

219459f25129c4420.jpg

219459f251a7bb0e9.jpg

That's a serious piece of hardware! Better than snapping off the snout though.

Apparently you can do considerable damage to the crank and main bearings without one. Especially with cog belts.

I got to the point on the house where any more improvements will be diminishing returns, so I'm working on the cars more.

21945a5e2c46b7ee9.jpg

Made this in order to pin the balancer properly. The gen v has a large key, but I was afraid 1 key wasn't enough.

Got the mandrel in at +/- 0.001". Took a lot of fitting/machining to get the mandrel right. Then more fitting to get the bearing on with no bind.

21945a5e2c475f15b.jpg

Did some polishing and made a blower strut rod support.

21945a5e2c4709621.jpg

My amazon 50$ valve covers. Need to drill and weld in 16an fittings on both for vent lines. I'm currently notching the other for blower clearance. Glad I'm not hacking up $300 valve covers.

21945a5e2c4660c44.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot one photo, drove it out of the shop last summer and washed it off.

21945a5e361e1d425.jpg

nice looks like a fun project.....i am kind of getting in the mood again...

Yeah, please do. We need another good long project thread! I enjoyed watching the last car being resurrected.

I wish I had more to post, but I've been on a welder repair odyssey! My new Precision 225 arrives today. Keeping fingers crossed. Way more machine than I need, but in the end may be lower cost than the entry level machines.

They sell a core that is 4" less in width than what Chiseled Perf. sells. I may go this route if my alum welding skills progress.

Vibrant Perf. Horizontal Flow Intercooler Core
HP Rating: 1300
Core Width: 18"
Core Height: 12"
Core Thickness: 6"

$369

Last edited:
I have wanted to pick up a spool gun for my hobart handler ...so i can weld aluminum but i have not had the need yet.

Spent most of the summer on home improvements, getting back on the cars.

Some photos.

Got the precision tig 225, definitely a far better welder than anything I've tried. It will be me that holds it back.

21945b8bff7dcbdc6.jpg

My first alum project was the valve covers. I think I made every rookie mistake possible, except melting them down or blowing big holes. Fittings are welded on the inside.

21945b8bff7de2286.jpg

Some lessons learned:

1) buy a new can of acetone
2) scotch brite and acetone wipe all your welding rod
3) running shoes are better than workboots on the pedal

Probably more, but those were big.

Am making puke tanks now, so decided to practice! A few more and I'll be good to go.

21945b8bff7dd701e.jpg

Last edited:
Bead roller nearly ready.

21945b8bff7dbfd73.jpg

Frozen boost intercooler piping is pretty reasonable. How much longer with all these tarrifs is anyone's guess.

21945b8bfc3b3acb5.jpg

I may try to make up some lightweight side pipe mufflers with similar material after the Camaro is running.

Last edited:
for alloy welding? lot of practice, being steady and some swearing involved !!
Being steady is my problem :(

Yeah, I watched a lot of how-to vids and "propping" seems to be the way to go. It took forever to get all my contamination sources fixed. I guess I had used oily rags with my old acetone container and it was no good for cleaning alum.

Definitely hoping to improve, that opens up the possibility of projects like your alum cooling ducts.

I never got good at the aluminum. The slightest bit of contamination will build an oxide layer that takes more heat to melt than the aluminum below, then the next thing you know, you have a blowout. I need to practice again. I agree on shoes over boots, anything you can do to get better feel and control when you are learning is a step in the right direction.

The slightest bit of contamination will build an oxide layer that takes more heat to melt than the aluminum below, then the next thing you know, you have a blowout.

Yes, it took me for ever to realize my rods were a bit oily and had an oxide layer. They looked clean and shiny.

I found cutting scotch brite pads into 1" squares is a good way to always have a clean pad.

About half done on my tank now.

Tank done, except brackets.

21945b990b24d57b6.jpg

21945b990b24e0da7.jpg

Next up, belt guard or intercooler piping. I've decided on the 1300hp core, but want more practice.

Thanks, still learning.

Got some tubing bead rolled. And, will start welding it up. Ordering intercooler now I'm feeling more confident. Will post some pics soon.