Power steering return line fitting

greg75vette

The Traffic Baron
Alright guys, I need a little help. I'm trying to sort my power steering lines and I'm running into a problem which I can't seem to find an answer. I have the pressure side pretty much sorted. The return from the valve to the pump, though, has me a bit stumped. My stock return line just makes it with the steering centered, but that doesn't do me any good in a turn.

-What is the fitting size that is on the return side of the power valve to the pump? Is it a 3/8" inverted flare?

I found this at rockauto and I hope this is correct:
Edelmann Part number 39135 If so, I can buy some generic power steering hose and be done with it.

Thanks for the help!

Well, the pump isn't. Everything else is stock as far as I know. I want to trust rockauto, but when it come to classics, part stores don't always get it right. I searched here and some other forums and I can't seem to find a reference on the return fitting. Plenty on the pressure side, though.

I'm confused. The Edelman part you link to is a return line with a rack and pinion steering. Most of the C3 pumps, if not all of them, just have a nipple brazed into the pump can or housing. The hose runs from the control valve up to that nipple.

So you think the fitting is for a rack? Damn. Well, if the fitting is the same, I can still use it.

What I'm looking for is the fitting on the control valve. I can't find a reference to its size. You're right, the return on the pump is just a hose barb.

Just so it clears everything up, I'm using the pump that came with the LS1. Using the Fbody accessories, the power steering pump is mounted above the alternator, on the driver side. This extra distance and all of the extra snaking I need to do with these lines makes the stock return line too short.

The power steering pump has two connections: 16mm x 1.5 female for the pressure and a hose barb for the return. Both of these I have covered.

It's the power valve connections I'm not positive on. In fact, now that I look over some older notes I made (I tried to research this 3 years ago), I'm not sure on the pressure side fitting as well :suicide::surrender:

I may just grab the hose and hit the local parts store. Someone has to have something close....right?

I was confused about the link with the drawing of a rack as well, that's why I asked if it's the stock system....

If you still have the stock hose that runs from the valve to the reservoir then you could just take it to a local hydraulic shop and have them make one for you just longer.... these guys are here in Orlando and they make custom hoses: http://www.amazonhose.com/ check out their website and find a shop like this local.... it doesn't cost a fortune....

Another thought: doesn't that hose have a 3" or so tubing section at the valve end ?? Cut that and use a compression fitting to make it longer ??? The return line is low pressure anyways.....

I was confused about the link with the drawing of a rack as well, that's why I asked if it's the stock system....

I didn't notice the picture, sorry guys. I think it's just a generic picture. I used rockauto's search engine to find that. According to their site, that's a "power steering return line end fitting" for a 1975 corvette.

If you still have the stock hose that runs from the valve to the reservoir then you could just take it to a local hydraulic shop and have them make one for you just longer.... these guys are here in Orlando and they make custom hoses: http://www.amazonhose.com/ check out their website and find a shop like this local.... it doesn't cost a fortune....

A hydro shop might be the answer. I was hoping to make the line myself, especially since I seem to have the pressure side done, but I do feel that a shop would have been the easier solution. I seem to pick the wrong route. A lot.

Another thought: doesn't that hose have a 3" or so tubing section at the valve end ?? Cut that and use a compression fitting to make it longer ??? The return line is low pressure anyways.....

:lol: This was a thought as well. Except I was thinking of cutting it, putting a flare on it, then hose clamp a hose on. Basically, make a part just like the one I linked.

I just removed all the stock stuff from my '79, I'll have a look at that hose tonight.... going by my memory of what this thing looks like there's plenty of room to flare the tubing and make a connector or extension.... how about cutting the hose and use AN hose ends ??

damnit...

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I did a little more searching on rockauto's site and I may have determined the fitting sizes, based off of the hoses they sell. For the power valve, it looks like:
-Feed from pump is 1/4" inverted flare
-Return to pump is 3/8" inverted flare

:banghead::clobbered: Why is this bad? I thought the feed into the valve was 3/8" inverted, not 1/4". Which means my adapter from 3/8" inverted to -6AN is now useless and I can't find a 1/4" inverted to any AN size. I knew the feed and return were two different sizes, I just figured the return was bigger than 3/8" (and hence this thread to check).

So, it looks like I need to go to a hydro shop and get a line made up for both pressure and return. If the return line is too expensive, I can always buy the linked fitting and some hydro hose to make it work.

Sometimes I struggle with normal day to day things...:footmouth::surrender:

I just removed all the stock stuff from my '79, I'll have a look at that hose tonight.... going by my memory of what this thing looks like there's plenty of room to flare the tubing and make a connector or extension.... how about cutting the hose and use AN hose ends ??

:twitch:That's brilliant! Here's the rub though for the return side: If I do that with my PTFE hose, I don't think I can clamp it on the hose barb at the pump. If I could clamp it on, I would rather use my 3/8" inverted to -6AN adapter I originally thought would fit the pressure side and cut out the old hose altogether.

But, I wonder if I can cut the pressure side tube and use that. That's not a 3/8" line though, right? So I would need some adapter to go up to -6AN for the fitting at the pump. Finally, would Al tube nuts hold the pressure?

Thanks for the help! At the least, this is a fun discussion.

Damn I forgot to pull that hose out of the box tonight, will do tomorrow.... But it does look like it's possible to cut the steel tube and use a compression fitting to hose adapter or simply flare it.... I can take a closer look and some measurements tomorrow....

No worries, Karsten. I have the original hoses as well. I actually hose clamped them together to keep the PS fluid from leaking as I wheeled her around and kept water from entering as well.

I didn't take a look last night, either. I was at the inlaws the whole time. Based off the fittings, I'm hoping the pressure line is a 1/4" line so I can put on some -4 steel tube nut and sleeve, right into a steel -4 to -6 reducer, into my -6 PTFE hose and go from there. The return should be even easier.

Though, I won't be sweating this for a bit. It occurred to me last night this isn't critical path to getting the engine at least test fired, so thanks to you we have some idea of a solution, I'm going to cool it for a bit. I placed another summit order yesterday morning for other essentials before this thread heated up, so I might as well wait a bit before I buy more stuff (steel -4 fittings) for this system. Who knows what we'll find out/think of next.

Thanks again, my friend. :thumbs::drink:

The other end is open hose to a barb fitting on the stock C3 reservoir.

What do you want to use? The 3/8" tube can be flared for a 37 degree AN fitting with a tubing nut , I would prefer that over a compression fitting. It's also less clutter if you run a 6AN hose end from here, just use a 6AN male hose end.

The other end is open hose to a barb fitting on the stock C3 reservoir.

What do you want to use? The 3/8" tube can be flared for a 37 degree AN fitting with a tubing nut , I would prefer that over a compression fitting. It's also less clutter if you run a 6AN hose end from here, just use a 6AN male hose end.

Perfect and I agree. I may use a male union because I have a bunch of extra female hose ends. Should work either way.

My only hold up is sticking PTFE over that hose barb on the reservoir. I can't seem to find anywhere that it's ok. Google and forum searches only bring up hose barb fittings.

How much room do you have on the back side of the reservoir?

Another option is to cut the barb tube off the reservoir and braze (or weld) a new piece of tubing on the reservoir - that's probably the cleanest looking solution... That new piece of tubing could be flared for a tubing nut just like the other end...

I have decent room, but it's a plastic reservoir and a plastic barb--all one piece. Here's a shot of the PS pump installed:
1202131109_zps59530b30.jpg

1202131110_zpsd42eb793.jpg

I thought about drilling a hole on the side and installing a fuel cell bulkhead adapter, but I'm not sure of a clean way to block off the old hose barb in a clean fashion. The only idea I had was a piece of hose clamped tubing with a bolt in it. That doesn't look pretty and doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy with leaks, either.

Thanks to your lead though, it looks like there are SS braided hose with a rubber core that can handle PS fluid. I can just clamp that on the end of the current hose barb and be done with it.