Best heat/sound barrier kit?

Ricisan

I tried this on CF, 45 views and zero responses? WTF
Any help over here?

Forum: I'm redoing my interior soon and need some help selecting the heat and sound barrier. All the vendors have some kind of kit. Some can be layered w/other materials. Using something expensive like dynamat and cutting it to fit perfect for accoustical perfection is not in the plan.
I want to use something precut and user friendly.
Since I'm tearing everything out, I want to get the best bang for the buck.
So far the stuff from Zip looks good, anyone care to comment on what has worked for them and what they would do different. Some materials are for heat and some for sound, I am not opposed to putting in two layers of materials if that will get the job done right. Of course new carpet after the underlayment. TIA

R

Cutting it is not really that hard. You can get a perfect fit that way.

I would stay away from the stuff that is thick. If you use stuff that is too thick in places like the footwells, the carpet doesn't fit right.

Thanks BB Shark. Many have done this project, so I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel. LOL
I would like to avoid as many problems as possible in advance. I am thinking about the higher quality products that need to be cut and fitted.
I am trying to keep the costs down and the materials user friendly.

R

I have used the B-quiet stuff before, I think is was 80 mil thick (which I think is the same as Dynamat). It has a foil back which is the heat barrier but the sound damping is marginal. I think the people that have those thumper stereo's in thier cars use much thicker stuff, that's the kind of stuff to stay away from. It's expensive and a pain in the ass to install. Also, stay away from the bubble wrap/foil insulation you can get at Lowes. It's too thick also.

What year is the car you are putting this on?

My 74 needs an Interior!

BB Shark; I will have my unemployed buddy do the tearing out and prep.
Since I do NOT have a booming stereo, ultimate sound/noise control is not an issue. LOL
I do want the best bang for the buck. I would say that controling the heat is more important than sound at this point.

R

how about primer on the steel floorpans and then aluminum foil and fiberglass mat and resin? That's good for heat insulation and it's going to fit like a glove. With the aluminum foil between the floor and the resin you will be able to remove it if you want to. It's cheap too.

I just use the old Dynamat crap. Sometimes on sale at Eastwood.

I'd stay away from Zip and buy elsewhere.

You mentioned bang for the buck. There are hotrodders that use home madem "Lizard Skin" and seem to have excellent results.

Lizard Skin is basically a latex carrier with ceramic microspheres in it.

Google is your friend

Heat before Sound!

Forum: Thanks for your help. I will check out what is available in bulk, I think my buddy and I can handle a little cutting and gluing. LOL
Since my AC is not working and won't be until I can come up w/better than stock, I want to work on cockpit heat issues first.
If anyone knows of a good deal on heat barrier in bulk, please share.

TIA

R

You mentioned bang for the buck. There are hotrodders that use home madem "Lizard Skin" and seem to have excellent results.

Google is your friend

I'm in the process of doing this right now. I ordered the microspheres from Aircraft Spruce, and bought a gallon of cheap exterior latex at Lowes. I had the paint tinted so it will look similar to the gray SPI epoxy primer that I used.

I read all of the posts on the hotrod boards, and based on my knowledge of the ceramics, I think this is going to work quite well. I'm going to use a closed cell foam product with aluminum on both sides over the home brew "lizard skin"

I'm planning to do the job next week, so I'll post some photos.

Iff you buy a molded carpet kit like I did (acc massback) for my 1990 vette, the carpet won't fit right with just that foil stuff. I still had to add sound deadening material approx. as thick as the original stuff for a good fit.

Google is your friend

I'm in the process of doing this right now. I ordered the microspheres from Aircraft Spruce, and bought a gallon of cheap exterior latex at Lowes. I had the paint tinted so it will look similar to the gray SPI epoxy primer that I used.
I read all of the posts on the hotrod boards, and based on my knowledge of
the ceramics, I think this is going to work quite well. I'm going to use a closed cell foam product with aluminum on both sides over the home brew "lizard skin
I'm planning to do the job next week, so I'll post some photos.

Hi Rich, how did it turn out?

I forgot about this thread. Sorry for the delay on posting the photos.

The home made "lizard skin" worked out pretty well. I mixed the ceramic micro-spheres and paint about 50 - 50; it yielded a thick pasty consistency that was a real pain to brush on. I applied three coats letting each one dry for a couple of days between coats. After struggling with the brushed on first coat, I shot the next two on with schutz gun. Much better.

The next step was to install the foam/foil insulation. The material is Prodex AD-5. It is a building insulation product that is a thermal and radiant barrier and it is supposed to reduce noise transmission by 19dba. We'll see.

prodex_cross_l.jpg
[/IMG]

The stuff is easy to install. I got lazy and bought a pre-cut kit from a CF vendor, but if I was to do it again I'd just buy the bulk material and save a few bucks. Installation is done with 3M spray adhesive and aluminum duct tape.

9_18_11023.jpg
[/IMG]

9_18_11025.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm happy with the results.

i'd be happy with the results too, it looks great, almost too nice to cover with carpet. :thumbs:

How come you didn't spray the inside body color before laying down the foil?

I'm not really trying to replicate the way the car was built in St. Louis, and pretty much everything in the interior is covered up by some kind of trim anyway. I figure that the epoxy primer is a whole lot better coating than anything GM ever used, so it will be fine as is. The NCRS guys are not going to like this car. :)