Future engine swap project

Fuelie74

Look what followed me home! Its a 1999 LS1 out of a Camaro. It was pulled out because it has a rod knock. I was able to get the engine with all accessories, harness and computer for $500. I will be doing a tear down on it in the very near future to find out exactly what is wrong, but as of right now the plans are a crank, couple rods, bearings and an ls6 cam and call it good. Going to be slowly gathering parts and hopefully do the swap this upcoming winter.
2224df6c4ad8a997.jpg

Last edited:
good deal :thumbs:

let's see what's wrong with it, hope you don't need a new crank.... well, if you do.... these LS1s make great strokers.... :cool:

Well its rated at 305hp from the factory. I am just going off the basic ideas that got hashed out the other night when this deal all started to come togther. I still have to do alot of research on this motor before laying down cash for go fast parts for it. I would like to see 400hp when I am done. We will find out when I get it all together and on the dyno for tuning.

Look, I'm not knocking your idea, really I'm not. But for 400hp, I really wonder about the shit to worth ratio of switching over to the LS engines. They're a great motor, no question, but shoehorning them into the framerails of our cars just seems like a lot of effort for no more return than could be had from a conventional SBC. Now if you were shooting for 500-600NAhp, I'd say you would be on to something. Other than the "oooh" factor (and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that), I just don't see enough difference in the two platforms under 400hp.
Now that's just my meager opinion and I fully admit I have no practical experience with the pros and cons of such a swap and may very well be talking out of my ass. I'm always willing to learn so if I'm in the wrong, please tell me.

My problem that I have run into is I really like my the drivability of my TPI engine, but I want to make some power. The LS1 swap should allow the best of both worlds and I am shooting for a 400 hp starting point with this swap with room to improve as funds allow. Trust me I have found it very difficult to choose between a 383sbc and an LS platform. I a choosing the LS platform because of how much I drive my car.

Cool, my man. Like you said, it's a starting point. For me, 400hp is the finish line for the c3. I just can't see me using more than that. When I install the AFR heads I hope to switch to a TBI system at that point. I'm looking for about 400hp then. Like I said, I don't see enough difference between the two platforms for anything sub 400hp. More than that, it's the LS in a walk.

Well I finally got time to hang the engine on a stand and pull the oil pan off last night. I pulled all of the rod cap and found that the only spun bearing was cylinder #2. The scoring on the crank looks to be very light.

So at this point it looks like I will need to buy one new rod, get the crank turned, new set of bearings, and have everything balanced up.

These engines are great. I've had a LS1 in my Z28, pretty much stock except for intake, catback and tune... runs great at 1500rpm in overdrive and goes to 7000 with no problems... had that car for 7 yrs and way over 100K miles, the engine never got boring :beer:
Get it running first and see how you like it. These engines respond good to cam and headers but depending on your gears you might not want to add too much cam.... what tranny do you have and what's your rpm at 60-70mph ?? what are the specs on the LS6 cam vs stock ?

Look, I'm not knocking your idea, really I'm not. But for 400hp, I really wonder about the shit to worth ratio of switching over to the LS engines. They're a great motor, no question, but shoehorning them into the framerails of our cars just seems like a lot of effort for no more return than could be had from a conventional SBC. Now if you were shooting for 500-600NAhp, I'd say you would be on to something. Other than the "oooh" factor (and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that), I just don't see enough difference in the two platforms under 400hp.
Now that's just my meager opinion and I fully admit I have no practical experience with the pros and cons of such a swap and may very well be talking out of my ass. I'm always willing to learn so if I'm in the wrong, please tell me.

Vettezuki has an LS 82, his could be a daily driver, mine is just a toy. If you want to drive the car a lot, even a highly tuned carb won't be as efficient as FI.

The LS series is an incredible egine, power and fuel economy.

The amount of work required to fit it in almost any vehicle is well worth the effort imho.

Once an LS is fitted horsepower can be what ever you want. 2500hp? the LSX block will bolt right in. Little bit less? how about a LSX454 crate motor.
Still over the top, and LS3 eRod crate motor is 435 hp.

Doing to conversion opens many doors down the road when 400hp just 'isnt enough"