Custom front splitter/air dam

vette427sbc

Here is my finished splitter/air dam that Ive been working on...
Some progress pics:

DSCF1136.jpg

BMW brake ducts molded in:
DSCF1169.jpg

Sanded, painted, and support rods in:
DSCF1192.jpg
DSCF1189.jpg
DSCF1191.jpg

Its just a hair over 3" off the ground... As long as theres no manholes or other objects sticking out over 3", I should be Ok. As for driveways, I worked as a valet for a while at a restaurant with a terrible parking lot entrance. Every car would scrape on it if they didnt know the correct way to drive up it. (Some woman came flying up the entrance and literally ripped her bumper off). As long as you enter with the car as parallel to the road (dont drive straight in) as possible, you could get anything to make it without scraping.

Custom fabricated parts are always cool, a challenge to the builder and a point of pride. Yours looks purdy good! Does it help improve air flow and cool the engine? Your car looks alot like my monza red 69 coupe did when it had sidepipes.

I like the chrome bumper much better than in black. Did you have it chromed, or buy one already chromed. NJ used to have some good chrome plating shops when I lived up that way, but now down in FL. After looking at the background in your photo, I remember why I moved down south. Last week, FL was the only state that did not get any snow.

Last edited:
Custom fabricated parts are always cool, a challenge to the builder and a point of pride. Yours looks purdy good! Does it help improve air flow and cool the engine? Your car looks alot like my monza red 69 coupe did when it had sidepipes.

I like the chrome bumper much better than in black. Did you have it chromed, or buy one already chromed. NJ used to have some good chrome plating shops when I lived up that way, but now down in FL. After looking at the background in your photo, I remember why I moved down south. Last week, FL was the only state that did not get any snow.

:bounce::bounce::quote::bump::bump:

I for one like it, may be low but sure looks like it will work well, will be interesting to see how it influences the handling on the road.

Awesome! Great job.

All my cars are lowered with front spoilers, yes, you will have some repair, some day, for sure. Crap, I scoop up dead squirrels, paper, all kinds of crap.

But enjoy it, I think its kewl!

tt

I think it looks really good. I find the hardware a little distracting though. I understand its purpose but have you considered painting the rods black? Not that it's a big deal, it just draws attention to a piece that looks like the factory could have done it.
Speaking of, you want to maybe give a little more in depth details of how you made that? I'm looking to make up some bits for mine and the only way I can think to make the parts is from a clay mold. But I'm always looking for better ways.

:bounce::bounce::quote::bump::bump:

Thanks! The bumper was never black, although it sure looks like it because of the lighting in some of the pics. Im hoping it will just reduce lift, and maybe add a little bit of downforce on the front. Since I dont have an effective way to evacuate all of the air under the nose, I think I may have a relatively neutral lift/downforce in the front. I have no problems cooling the motor, I may actually try blocking off some of the air inlets.

Ive been tired of this snow since the first day it fell up here. Spring time cant come soon enough :rain:

I for one like it, may be low but sure looks like it will work well, will be interesting to see how it influences the handling on the road.

Thanks! My other spoiler was technically just as low, but this one just sticks out further. So far I havent scraped anywhere. But I am very careful about where I drive!

Awesome! Great job.

All my cars are lowered with front spoilers, yes, you will have some repair, some day, for sure. Crap, I scoop up dead squirrels, paper, all kinds of crap.

But enjoy it, I think its kewl!

tt

Thanks!
I sure hope it lasts for a while... Im not the biggest fan of fiberglass work anymore :smash:

I think it looks really good. I find the hardware a little distracting though. I understand its purpose but have you considered painting the rods black? Not that it's a big deal, it just draws attention to a piece that looks like the factory could have done it.
Speaking of, you want to maybe give a little more in depth details of how you made that? I'm looking to make up some bits for mine and the only way I can think to make the parts is from a clay mold. But I'm always looking for better ways.

Thanks! I thought about doing them in black, but it really needs something to break up all of the black IMO.

In the first picture, you can see that I made a cardboard mold first. Then I laid a few layers of glass over that and pulled it off the cardboard. Laid down some more glass, sanded, trimmed then painted. I dont think its the best way to do glasswork, but it works ok for me.