New to this forum

Sam Cogley

Been away from the Corvette online scene for a while, things have changed quite a bit in my absence. Most of you might remember my car from CF, and I'm not hiding anything with the name change - I don't have the "Batman" plates on the 77 anymore, and I use this name at a number of other forums. After I got a job, moved and didn't have internet access at home for about six months, I drifted away from a lot of sites I used to visit and have only started reconnecting with them again. In the meantime I spent a fair bit of my spare time tinkering with vintage hi-fi stuff (lots of vacuum tubes) and serving as a referee for the local women's roller derby league. After landing in a bit of a mess at work, I found myself unfortunately on the hunt again and moving across town...but the extra time has let me get some work done on the car again. I actually had it running and driving for a while, until a broken headlight switch and a parasitic electrical drain sidelined it again temporarily. While I'm at it I'm finally going to install the Oldsmobile power mirrors I've had sitting in a box forever, fix a bad weld in my custom driver's seat, and take care of a few interior mods. Looking forward to finally getting the old girl back on the road again!

The paint, wheels and tires are the same from this pic, but it's since had a custom 3" side exhaust added (slightly visible in the suspension pic, and it will need some re-work at some point), along with the rear suspension rebuild/modification. A six-link style upper link might be added sometime in the near future, I've already installed Herb Adams spherical bearings at the front of the trailing arms and (obviously) lowered the inner pivot point for the camber links. The links themselves are VB&P adjustables, with the stock-style ends changed out for rod ends and spacers. The stock rubber crossmember bushings were replaced with aluminum Guldstrand parts (they came with the used dual mount spring). Overall, the rear suspension already has a much more precise feel than it ever did in the past.

As a bonus, I included a picture of my dad and myself with our 1954 GMC DeLuxe cab-over-engine 2-ton truck. It's one of the coolest trucks I've ever run across, someday we'll have it back on the road.

Attachments

• RearSusp1sm.jpg
    RearSusp1sm.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 44
  • v_2_4-20-06.jpg
    v_2_4-20-06.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF0176.JPG
    DSCF0176.JPG
    633.5 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to Vettemod, the land of restoration villains.

It's RESTIFICATION HEROS,

damnit.....

mutter utter peanut butter, batter, better.....:clobbered:

and learn to spell king's englush too, froggy.....:rofl::amazed:

Welcome to the site. I like that exhaust!

Thanks. I'll get some better pics next time I have the car up in the air. Unfortunately, in order to get the turns I needed, there are some rather ugly bends up front - tubes butt-welded at angles rather than smooth mandrel bends. This was a prototoype setup, I'm hoping that by the time I get around to building a new engine that I can find some mandrel bends with a small enough radius to do the job. I also need to pull it down and take a bit out of the downpipe on the passenger side - it hangs a bit low and sticks out from under the covers at the front. The driver's side is tucked neatly under the cover. Everything is 3" tubing, and I included high-flow catalytic converters on each side. The pipes under the covers have angled tips, I was able to get them pre-made from a large truck parts store. Each pipe has three Speedway spiral mufflers, welded together into one unit, with a washer welded to the end of the center tube facing the engine to cut down but not eliminate the straight-through flow. The overall effect is quite good, it sounds mean but not in the "the neighbors want to kill me" territory.

After reading through Marck's F-body thread, I realized just how ugly my exhaust is. Off to Summit to order some new mandrel bends...

Last edited:
good to have you over here, theres a lot less of "what is that pull switch under the steering column for" posts over here....