QUOTE: Great News

Geoff Coenen

Just received an email from Auto Accessories of America regarding prices - as follows

"Price Schedule Update
Great news! Our automated monthly price schedules have been updated to include all of the great products found at AutoAccessoriesofAmerica.com, affording you the ability to now offer everything we have for GM and Ford applications to your customers."

The automated monthly price schedule - wow - now we can check prices 12 times a year - NOT !

Truthfully when I get inquiries and explain the new prices I usually cancel the sale - I cannot keep up with the yearly changes and checking monthly is not my my calendar. Thankfully I provided for my retirement decades ago.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

Geoff, so the last 20 years has seen the transfer of just about everything from catalog sales to internet. That is the only way you could keep adjusting prices monthly, right? But my question is this, when you you buy an Auto Accessories product from XXX Corvettes does the product ship from Auto Accessories or XXX Corvettes? I'm sure there are traditional suppliers that have inventory but it sure looks like everyone is turning themselves into Amazon.

Speaking of Amazon. When they started, it seemed everyone was just Amazed that they were able to send stuff to you in 1 or 2 days (that you were too lazy to get at a local retailer). I have been buying stuff from McMaster Carr since the 90's from their giant catalog, with next day delivery. Yet Amazon is a "technology" company?

Previously I stocked lots of their "soft" colored proprietary products like visors, shift consoles, map pockets, seat backs, windshield pillars, floor mats, t-cushions - all colored stuff. Now whats left is on the home page of my web store cheaper than they list. I just want to get rid of it. Large items like door panels and seat covers were always drop shipped direct from them. Personally I don't think anyone stocks this soft stuff today. Even they have to make it generally unless it is popular like Black. Al Knoch has problems getting experienced help with retirements and the timelines for production are so long customers just don't want to wait.

If you look at the Corvette Foramen web store they list lots of AAA products - often near double the price - be sure to read the terms: final sale, no returns, no exchanges. There is no doubt they get the novice purchaser and I'd bet 10 to 1 - everything is drop shipped direct from AAA.

The cost of shipping has risen so much that few small shops can affords to pay in-bound shipping then sell it - unless they mark it up considerably. Factory type exhaust systems - nobody stocks - made to order generally.

When the internet got rolling I coined a statement many years ago - everyone is a dealer today and has inventory on a hard drive - bits and bytes.

Corvette Central is probably the biggest supplier just based upon the sheer size of their facility. They buy in bulk - 10, 20 even 100 pieces in my own experience. Even they drop ship large colored interior parts and fiberglass.

PS have you seen the delivery dates for folk wanting fiberglass - it went from a couple of week, to months to a year in some cases.