bleeding 1990 brakes have some questions

JeffP1167

Since I know have everything to do my brakes here are some questions.

Obviously this car has ABS ... Is it bled the same as a non abs car?

I have heard NOT TO USE silicone fluid, is there any truth to this?

How can I be sure the abs even works on this car?

no silicone, use the std method you like, it will work just fine. Some abs systsems (bosch typically) have a reservoir that's seperated from the rest of the system and open to the rest only when the abs engages. There's no need to bleed it, it'll be full but the fluid will be old and non silicone..do not mix.

If you drive the car, do you hear the abs pump after you get rolling It's a quite audible huming noise in the rear. Then simply just slam the brakes and if the brake pedal feels like it's pulsating it's doing it's job.

no silicone, use the std method you like, it will work just fine. Some abs systsems (bosch typically) have a reservoir that's seperated from the rest of the system and open to the rest only when the abs engages. There's no need to bleed it, it'll be full but the fluid will be old and non silicone..do not mix.

If you drive the car, do you hear the abs pump after you get rolling It's a quite audible huming noise in the rear. Then simply just slam the brakes and if the brake pedal feels like it's pulsating it's doing it's job.

No. I haven't heard any noise like that but once while car was in the air and and running rear wheels at around 25mph and then locking the rear tires I got a service abs light on the dash.

I would like to bleed all the old brake fluid out

service abs isn't good, pull the codes by grounding the h terminal on your aldl, the info panel light should flash codes

90s didn't come with a functional abs active light atlhough the socket is there on the info panel, it's not hooked up

If you drive the car, do you hear the abs pump after you get rolling It's a quite audible huming noise in the rear

I remember that. As soon as you start the car the ABS would "charge" and you will hear a hum for a few seconds.

Let me ask you this, if I were to say take a 20 foot vacuum hos and run to my plenum vacuum source would this work reasonably fast instead of the hand pump in this picture or would damage occur? I assume you just run another line to the bleeder valve and then open it and use vacuum to draw fluid through correct?

image_11800.jpg

longest line first so start with pass rear then drivers rear, pass front and then drivers side front