Heater delete option

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
I asked this question on CF a while ago and got back some rather heated replies. I'm asking it again after seeing an advertisement for a part in Corvette Central.

The question: Was there ever a C3 Vette that had a "heater delete option". In other words, no heater installed OR heater removed by dealers. Corvette Central sells a threaded plug (their part #241057) listed as an "Intake/Water Pump Heater Delete Plug".

Now I must ask why in the world would they describe it as a "heater delete plug" if there was never a heater delete option? For that matter, why would they sell it at all if there WASN'T a heater delete option? I mean you can buy a threaded brass plug that will do the exact same job at Ace Hardware. I know because I bought one :)
So does anyone know FOR SURE, and not based on what is written online or in car rags, whether there actually WAS a heater delete option? Is there any documented proof from RELIABLE SOURCES?

Enquiring minds want to know :D

Lets find out how good a guess this is....I say YES, as part of some race prep package....maybe like the radio delete option....

:censored:

I doubt it. The heater core functions nicely as an auxiliary radiator when things get nasty.

The reason they sell it that way when you can get the same thing at ACE Hardware for pennies on the dollar is simple...they want to extract money from dumb and/or lazy people.

I doubt it. The heater core functions nicely as an auxiliary radiator when things get nasty.

The reason they sell it that way when you can get the same thing at ACE Hardware for pennies on the dollar is simple...they want to extract money from dumb and/or lazy people.

I dunno. Corvette owners are pretty finicky about parts and tend to know what is and isn't supposed to be there. This item is the same color and I suspect the same metal composition as the other water pump and heater fittings. And Gene is correct, there is DEFINITELY a radio delete plate that was made back then. Racers are concerned about every last ounce of weight, and losing the heater core is a lot of weight and extra hardware that can be left off. I don't see any dedicated drag cars with heater cores. No idea about sports car racers, but I doubt they have them either.

One must also remember the COPO/dealer stuff that was going on back then. At Nickey, Motion, Yenko, Royal Pontiac, or Mr. Norm's Grand-Spaulding Dodge, you could pretty much have your car custom-modified to EXACTLY the way you wanted it. That's why I included dealers in my question. ;)

I don't know if there was a heater delete option. I'd guess that there never was one, what I'm referring to is a stand alone heater delete option. However, if you ordered a 1967 or 1968 Corvette with the L88 engine option, the car did not come with a heater. The heater delete part of the package was one of several things GM did to discourage people from buying L88's for street us. The 1969 L88's did come with heaters, it seems that the windshield defroster was a needed function even for a race car. I'm not sure if the transition of no heater to heater occurred with the 1968 to 1969 model years. But it was sometimes there abouts.

The L88 option essentially doubled the price of a Corvette. Same as the ZR1 option for the C6. The L88 came with 12.5:1 compression ratio, aluminum rectangular ports, and produced 550 flywheel genuine horsepower. Remember in the late 60's American car manufacturer's advertised engines with unrealistically high Hp. (Engine Hp with no water pump, no alternator, and Hp corrections for air temp, etc.) However, to discourage the L88, it's hp was advertised as 430 Hp. A less expensive option, the 3X2 carb rectangular port BB, was advertised as 435 Hp. The kicker was in the small print. The L88 Hp was referenced at a low engine rpm! Also, the L88 option, being priced at twice a stock Corvette, was even less appealing when a potential buyer realized he wasn't going to get a heater!

So yes, there was very likely a GM part number for a water pump heater delete plug.

Found this on the internet: 1968 Corvette L88 427-430HP Convertible

"The 1968 L88 Vette featured here is equipped per its tank sticker as: Convertible, International Blue, Black Leather, C05 Black Soft Top, Auxiliary Hardtop, L88 Special Turbo-Jet 427, K66 Transistor Ignition, G81 Positraction Rear 411R, M22 Special 4-Speed, A01 Tinted Glass, F41 Special Performance Suspension, J50 Power Brakes, J56 Heavy Duty Brakes, Red Line Tires, No Radio, and Heater Delete. This Vette still retains its original engine and entire drivetrain. It has been Bloomington Gold Certified and NCRS Top-Flite as well."

Outstanding! I knew I could count on you guys to get the straight dope.:thumbs::thumbs:
Wish you all were around back when this was discussed on CF. I took major heat for saying the L88 wasn't equipped with a heater. The "experts" all stated that a heater was standard on ALL Vettes.

][/quote]

That entire law needs be repealed.....probably adds 10 grand to every car sold....:censored:[/QUOTE]

repeal a law? a politician admit an error? what are you crazy??