L88 Hood for my 1977

Buy a long style scoop and graft to your original hood. You will be much happier with the fit the after-market.

82hood2.jpg

82hood5.jpg

82hood4.jpg

Last edited:
my Ecklers L88 hood fits very good.... I agree, pricey.... fortunatly was able to pick it up at their store so I didn't have to pay shipping

Funny nobody ever made a lt-1 style long hood, or even a lt-1 hood scoop insert.
I find the l88 too bulky for my own taste.

Funny nobody ever made a lt-1 style long hood, or even a lt-1 hood scoop insert.

I bought mine used for like 150 bux at the Carlisle Pa. show many years ago...

had it reworked and painted here in Florida....

sold the original hood my car came with for about 1/2 what I had in the 'new' one....

I suspect from the thin glass on my scoop, that it's a scoop from that large bulk parts house with the thick catalogs on newsprint....freeking name escapes me now...damnit...:ghost:

I completely agree. I find the lt-1 hoods to be the best looking hoods ever installed by the factory.

sold the original hood my car came with for about 1/2 what I had in the 'new' one....

I suspect from the thin glass on my scoop, that it's a scoop from that large bulk parts house with the thick catalogs on newsprint....freeking name escapes me now...damnit...:ghost:

JC Whitney?

JC Whitney?

YUP!!!, it almost has to be one of their castings, really thin, but I have no troubles with it the entire covered area was removed from the stock hood....that cut the weight by near 50% right there, I can lift it on and off without dreading the thought NOW...:clobbered:

back in the mid 70s my buddies and I took a road trip to Chicago to check out J.C. Whitneys. It was a great trip and as I remember Whitneys was huge, and extremely busy. Sorry for the side track but I have not heard about them in years. Damn how time flys.:mobeer:

When replacing hoods, getting a good fit can be a toss-up. For instance, on my 68 SB, I decided to use a 69 stock BB hood. The BB hood has a little extra clearance up front. I was surprised that the 69 hood did not fit on my 68. My 68 had been involved in a front end collision before I bought it and had been horribly repaired. I had the front end expertly repaired, no bondo, etc, and the stock SB hood came back for the shop perfectly aligned with the front clip. Nevertheless the stock 69 hood simply did not match up body lines.

The 69 hood came off of a 69 for which I purchased an L88 hood in the early 70's. The L88 hood did not fit well then, and I had to have body work done to get the fit reasonably acceptable.

To get a new hood to fit perfectly, you may have to break loose the inner front wheel wells and move that fiberglass section up or down. $$$$$$$.

The front clip on my 70 is a Bondo sculpture piece. I need to replace the entire front clip. When, if, I do that I can have an L88 hood custom fitted to the front clip. (Hope I can stay employed long enough to complete my 70 project car. I keep a running dollars to completion tally on the car. I'm amazed that as I have spent thousands over the last few years, my estimate to complete dollar amount doesn't seem to be going down that much! I never realized this car had so much hidden damage.)