L88 style long hood

Hi Guys
A new member from Australia. Currently researching to buy a 1969 coupe.
Was hoping someone could answer the following question for me please on the L88 hi-rise style long hoods.
I notice they come all the way back to the windscreen and the wiper door needs to be removed. Is there still room/clearance between the back of the hood and the windscreen for the wipers to work?
Are there any advantages of the longer hood over the shorter one or vise versa (assuming there is clearance for the wipers on the longer hood?).
Thanks in advance.

The longer hood leaves a large enough gap to the windscreen that the wipers can operate. I don't know how the aftermarket long hoods blend in with the fenders in the back on a 68-72.

I'm sure someone here has done it.

Welcome to the motley crew.....

I see your first post there OP.....

I was damn close to putting a longer hood on my '72 as you know 68-72 have short hoods, and longer ones CAN be fitted, but you must note how the fender tabs to the windshield are more open the chrome removed, and a larger gap....I am unsure about anything further....

I stayed with the short hood version, just simpler...and electrified the wiper door operation....wasn't messing with a beautiful paint job...this all 14 years ago....

:twitch:

Welcome to the motley crew.....

I see your first post there OP.....

I was damn close to putting a longer hood on my '72 as you know 68-72 have short hoods, and longer ones CAN be fitted, but you must note how the fender tabs to the windshield are more open the chrome removed, and a larger gap....I am unsure about anything further....

I stayed with the short hood version, just simpler...and electrified the wiper door operation....wasn't messing with a beautiful paint job...this all 14 years ago....

:twitch:

Thanks MrVette, sounds like I should have a look at both styles (long and short) before going down that route.

I have a long L-88 hood, and once you remove all that wiper door nonsense, the room is amazing. And the plus is, when you turn the wipers on, they work- everytime.

And both the long hoods I have fit great all the way around- rear corners are correct to.

This is the latest addition hood:
2349d784eca55a3.jpg

Here's an idea of how it blends
24d8d44002f0f1.jpg

what the hell tim :twitch:, where did you get that super tall hood? A lot easier than cutting one up :skeptic:

I got that hood from Vanacor- just before they closed (fire). Diane was great- I called and asked about a tall hood. That's it. The intake on there is a pretty flat dual plane, but I can stack 2 of the 3" filters and still have about 1-1/2 inches. Just haven't got around to putting the single plane intake on there. I'm still undecided if I want to put that on or the 2x4's..

Here's an idea of how it blends
24d8d44002f0f1.jpg

what the hell tim :twitch:, where did you get that super tall hood? A lot easier than cutting one up :skeptic:

Great Pics, does is still blend ok if the chrome strips below the windscreen pillars are removed. Or would that look a bit strange, because that part of the front guard sits a bit lower to allow for the chrome strip?

I have a long L-88 hood, and once you remove all that wiper door nonsense, the room is amazing. And the plus is, when you turn the wipers on, they work- everytime.

And both the long hoods I have fit great all the way around- rear corners are correct to.

This is the latest addition hood:
2349d784eca55a3.jpg

Thanks, looks great. I'd need a phone book on the seat to see over that thing :)