Fuel line check valve?

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
This is a bit off topic as it's not directly Vette related but I'm sure the concept would translate should someone else find themselves in the same position. On my 240Z project car I've removed the mechanical fuel pump and put in a Carter electric. It works well as long as the pump stays wet. Problem is, when the car sits over night the fuel drains back into the tank and loses the prime. I think the obvious thing is the pump is questionable but it does work, plus I can see this as a potential problem later on even with a different pump. So I'm thinking my options are, 1) replace the pump, 2) put a small tank under the hood before the fuel pump to keep a fuel reserve or, 3) put a check valve in the fuel line.
I'm leaning now toward the check valve because I think that would be cheap and easy to do. What I'm thinking of is a simple tube with a ball slightly smaller than the tube. Put a hose barb on both ends but put a crimp in the tube so that the ball will seal in one barb but the crimp will prevent it from going to the other one. This would be easy and cheap to do, it wouldn't be all that bulky either. It could be mounted vertically so it's simply a gravity set device.
So my questions are: is there a better solution? If I do the check valve would it be better before the fuel pump or after?

Not all pumps have check valves, tpi/tbi type pumps do. What are you running? I have checkvalves on 1 car because of multiple fuel pump pickups and 2 pumps on a Y manifold. they're from SX Performance and quite spendy so not a good solution (and they use an hardware not hose barbs). I'd check a hydraulics store to see if they have something. A flapper type valve usually works well but do check the opening pressure. Your idea sounds like it would be restrictive

All the Carter pumps I have ever used in the past have worked MUCH better mounted near the tanks, even up high in the trunk, than up front, so they are pusher pumps.....never had any luck with them up front, I always thought it was due to fuel perk,

Wonder if you have a fuel drain problem from a internally leaking carb...like a Q jet??

:shocking::gurney:

Wouldn't the easiest be to mount the pump low so that it stays wet?

my '70 Lemans/GTO was the last one and it was in the trunk, never an issue with that car, just above the tank pickup....some were down lo too, but far as I know never an issue long as they were in the REAR, never did find one that liked being up front....dunno why....assumed fuel perk.....

:cry::goodnight:

Not all pumps have check valves, tpi/tbi type pumps do. What are you running? I have checkvalves on 1 car because of multiple fuel pump pickups and 2 pumps on a Y manifold. they're from SX Performance and quite spendy so not a good solution (and they use an hardware not hose barbs). I'd check a hydraulics store to see if they have something. A flapper type valve usually works well but do check the opening pressure. Your idea sounds like it would be restrictive
I see the ones in Jegs and you're right, at $60 before the AN fittings, I think they're a little expensive and overkill for what I need. I thought about a flapper style but I'm just unsure of it. Certainly something to consider. As for the restriction, I thought about that but remember this is just a 390 Holley feeding a 2.6L engine.

Wouldn't the easiest be to mount the pump low so that it stays wet?
You would think, but given where everything is currently and what I would need to do to move it, I'm willing to try a check valve first. If that fails then I might move the pump, unless someone else has an idea I haven't thought of.

Summit sell one that is made by Billet Specialties with -an ends that takes the original qjet filter with the built in flapper check. Filters at any parts store.

Billet Specialties BSP-42220
Replacement Filter AC Delco part # GF471

If we're talking Chevy SBC or BBC engines, the engine driven mechanical fuel pumps DO have check valves in the pump itself. Further, its low location keeps it primed as well.

Cheers!