Yellow or pitted clearcoat - stripping and polishing rims

MYBAD79

I had the rear wheels off today and I decided to strip the clearcoat off these Mustang rims. The clearcoat was dull and pitted from brake dust in a few spots so I thought I don't have much to loose .... I applied the stripper with a small brush, I did not mask anything and simply took my time to apply it carefully so I did not get any on the tires or the silver painted spokes
This is what the rims look like after stripping and polishing with chrome polish - I did NOT use any wet sandpaper or scotch brite on the surface ... this is only stripped, rinsed and polished.... took about 10 minutes to apply the stripper, less than 2 minutes to wash it off and another 2 minutes for a quick polish with some cheap Turtle Wax chrome polish

214cdccc41e9403.jpg

I'll be polishing with Mothers polish and seal with "the world's easiest metal polish" (Satingloss) this weekend....

For those of you who consider removing the dull clearcoat from rims: do not use sandpaper unless you really have to....

Your project looks more difficult than what I did years ago, to a set of Snowflake Pontiac rims....I had to strip the whole mess, on all 4, I painted the center sections, left the rim naked 'brushed' aluminum, then sprayed with Krylon Crystal Clear from the spray bomb can....

lasted ten years......Maryland weather....garage kept....

:drink: