Lower ball joint castle nut - clunking noise

MYBAD79

Not the Vette but this could be a problem for GM spindles just like the Ford spindle I had a problem with...

I've had a clunking noise coming from the front suspension on my '95 Fox body Mustang. I've looked at the lower ball joints a few months ago and I knew they were shot... no biggie I thought...

Now, some time in the past one of the previous owners swapped V8 (GT) spindles (and rear axle) with 5 lugs onto this '93 4 cyl car....

The lower A-arm is still from a '93 but I think the spindles, axle and rims came off a '95 or newer model....

I bought the ball joints yesterday and rented the ball joint press and internal spring compressor, today I started disassembly. Here's what I found:

The GT spindle is not as tall (or thick) as the old spindle, the castle nut that holds the ball joint was bottomed out on the threads, leaving a .030" gap between the nut and the spindle surface. This allowed the spindle to move "up" .030" everytime I hit a pothole or other road imperfection.... beating up the conical hole in the spindle and the conical surface on the ball joint stud....

The ball joint's boot was long gone, I pulled quiet a bit of metal debris from around the socket, I am amazed the ball did not pop out of the socket...

I installed the pass side ball joint today with a thick shim under the castle nut, now the nut can actually be tightened against the spindle surface....tomorrow I'll fix the driver side....

Easy fix to simply add a shim (washer) - apparently it's a good idea to have a close look when swapping spindles or installing aftermarket (drop) spindles ....

Here are some photos of the ugliness:

214ccb6d094ad50.jpg
214ccb6d09bb239.jpg
214ccb6d0a103de.jpg
this is the loaner tool from Auto Zone, works great :thumbs:

214ccb6d0a5bed5.jpg
and here is the old ball joint (or what's left of it):
214ccb6d0aa52b7.jpg
I am actually surprised it lasted as long as it did and did not come apart while driving ....

the old ball joints don't look very good, did the ride quality improve with the new joints ?