dyno

Belgian1979vette

YES, I have located an old waterbrake for not to much money, its a system with an analog scale, but it will be usable. I hope the deal goes through and I will be up for completing it and testing.

Need some advice on this.

Well Marck, actually it was on marktplaats.nl.

I paid only 150 € for this thing. It has a broken shockabsorber/damper. The hillbillies let water get into it and the water frooze inside making the cilinder burst. As you can see in the pictures below.

1194b3fbb4a1d857.jpg
1194b3fbb4a92b5a.jpg
1194b3fbb4aed0a0.jpg
1194b3fbb4a1d857.jpg
1194b3fbb4a92b5a.jpg
1194b3fbb4aed0a0.jpg
1194b3fbb4b5f701.jpg
1194b3fbb4bb4e41.jpg

It is an old thing, but it has a capacity of 1100 hp.

As you can see in the pictures the thing turns to the left (opposite site of where the scale is). However on this side is the silencer/aborber. Which as far as I can see only acts as a dampner. The actual thing measuring it is the scale with the spring under it. The spring can be adjusted.

Anyone an idea about how this actually works.

I'm going to get the center cilinder on the absorber machined new, so it will work again.

I'm going to have a new one machined. This is not a very difficult part. Even if they would not be able to reproduce it, I guess I will be able to use an ordinary shock absorber with it.

You have some understanding about these things Marck ?

Also, I'm going to try to convert it to digital. However I need to find labview somewhere to do it. I will post a follow up on this.

Last edited:
No, I think you know a lot more about it than me, have never delved into this.

As for Labview, see PM.

Thanks Steve, Marck is going to help me out.

I looked at it again today.
The indicator on the board is going the wrong way when the brake is working. This is what got me thinking in the wrong direction. Anyway, it doesn't burn, so I can take it easy with this thing.

Have you any ideas for getting the data into the PC without expensive NI cards? I'm dicking with rotary and linear encoders just now ala the Cam Doctor.

Just found Arduino that looks promising.:sweat:

fantastic find BTW, I envy you. My mentor did all his work on a 60's Heenan-Froude dyno. I wionder if he'd remember any details? I can give you his forum site if interested...

Have you any ideas for getting the data into the PC without expensive NI cards? I'm dicking with rotary and linear encoders just now ala the Cam Doctor.

Just found Arduino that looks promising.:sweat:

fantastic find BTW, I envy you. My mentor did all his work on a 60's Heenan-Froude dyno. I wonder if he'd remember any details? I can give you his forum site if interested...

Absolutely i'm interested...

Untill now i only did get a good look at the NI card. Currently the most cheap examples are the ebay sellers. However I do have some time, so i'll shop around on the second hand forums here. Every now and then they turn up. I do need a 16 channel input card. Still have to figure out how many output signals (at least 3, waterpressure, sluices and throttle) I'm going to have. Depends on how much automatisation there is on the controls.

I've found a quite interesting site here of a college for engineers that were doing there 'eindwerk' on the subject of dyno's. It goes from the aspect of implementing the hardware to encoding the software. All the rough data is there, so I think i'm going to use this as a baseplan.

I went to the machineshop today to have the 'tube' machined. Should get the quote this week.

I'm going to have a look at the axle that has to connect the dyno with the trans (going to use the trans to gear it down some).

I'm still a bit in the dark about the power figures on these things.

it has actually 3 ratings : 400 contineous, an then a HP rating of 1100, but it almost looks like a formula in the way that above this figure is written W X N and then a line under it.

The guy who sold it, told me that I could adjust the resistance of the thing with the pressure of the waterinlet. He told me he got it from a shop that rebuilt tractor engines and the hooked up up to 6 engines at once ...:huh: All I could find on the net was that this is a sluices type dyno/constant volume (which is not the same as pressure)

Anyway, i will have to figure this thing out some more...but i guess this will be the fun part.

Last edited:
A small update... I took it apart to make sure that it was worth to invest more money into it.

There is some work on some things but salvagable. I had to send the axle on which the rotor sits to a machineshop that is going to machine the bronze sleeve on the thing.

There was some pitting because of cavitationon rotors and casing. Although the casing is from cast iron, i managed to weld it up. The rotors are next.

Unfortunatly, when I took off the turning wheels of the sluices, one of the gears broke (cast iron) I will have to have that one made also.:pprrtt:

1194b68896828ab4.jpg
1194b68896887e41.jpg

Here's an update.

All the little bits are painted, the bushings on the axle are renewed, the damper is turned and i'm getting my bearing in a couple of days. The assembly then starts.

I already have a servomotor + controller for the sluices.

Still looking for a daq though

1194bce0a2e7c16d.jpg
1194bce0a2ed18a5.jpg
1194bce0a2f7c18d.jpg
1194bce0a2fd3fdf.jpg

Last edited:
when can we come by for a test? LOL

I have most of the data acquisition, big radiator for the engine, air cooling, servo's, load cell here and still need some tanks for cooling water and a couple of big pumps to supply this thing with enough cool ground water. Then i would have to connect the servo's to both the brake and the throttle and programm the daq. Lots of work and $$$.

The refurbishing of the brake and brake itsself cost me some € 1500. Good thing is I can rev it to about 8000 now.

Then the rest which is another 1500 or so.

Well, i always tell the wife I don't smoke or go to a football match every weekend..:yahoo: