wheels toe alignment, convert from in. to degrees?

Hamad

Hi all, I made a print out of the VB&P alignment chart and took it to the alignment shop, but the man there was confused with the toe measurement, as its measured by in. while his alignment computer wants it in degrees! ,, how can I convert a toe of 1/8" in to degrees? .. and when they say "in" do they mean negative or positive toe??

Olde tyme printout I have from year 02 yet...

http://www.vettenet.org/align.html

is for vettes, obviously...

then for most any car, really...there are tables here to convert degrees to inches, and then I guess you need go to MM...

www.vtr.org

then go to Maintain then DIY-alignment.....

it's what I used for years now...

:beer:

Most modern alignment racks have a setting that you can change to see measurements in degrees or inches. I would say if the guy running the rack can't figure out how to change that setting maybe you should look for someone else to align the car.

Measured at the rim (15 inch rim), each 1/4 degree equals 1/16 of an inch or 1.5mm. So 1/8 inch equals 1/2 degree.

Most modern alignment racks have a setting that you can change to see measurements in degrees or inches. I would say if the guy running the rack can't figure out how to change that setting maybe you should look for someone else to align the car.

Yes, perhaps "most" do. But not all. And knowing the guys at the shop I hang out with, I won't go anywhere else with my car. In fact, I'm lucky in that they let me roll it up on the rack, help me get it set up & then let me do it myself. I've come up with 6 different answers to that question, every one from a reputable man. So I'm still playing with it, trying to get to it handle the way I want and just using the numbers to keep it all even & get an idea of what changes have what effect. I'm getting closer each time....
Actually, my idea--which I keep forgetting to do ---is call VBP and ask them to update their info to degrees also.

Yes, perhaps "most" do. But not all. And knowing the guys at the shop I hang out with, I won't go anywhere else with my car. In fact, I'm lucky in that they let me roll it up on the rack, help me get it set up & then let me do it myself. I've come up with 6 different answers to that question, every one from a reputable man. So I'm still playing with it, trying to get to it handle the way I want and just using the numbers to keep it all even & get an idea of what changes have what effect. I'm getting closer each time....
Actually, my idea--which I keep forgetting to do ---is call VBP and ask them to update their info to degrees also.

You lucky, I lost my alignment shop with the move south....not found one in several attempts, so forced into DIY.....and it's not all that hard, actually...
takes about a day to get used to bending my mind around doing it, because it always was a 'black art' before, even though I understood the concepts, the execution was the detail I never got involved with...:noworry:

THAT exemplifies the part I don't understand, the alignment machines all have the units clamped to the RIMS, I have never seen any input for the actual tire size on there....the above refers to tire diameter, but it's always measured at the RIM, you could have a ten series tire on there or a 78 series tire on there, the TIRE diameter is all over the joint....

so just how to use the tables?? something I not picking up??

:crap:

Thanks guys, I made a table with all the settings and soon I will take the car to the alignment shop.