Anyone have Extra Long Nuts?

Sky65

I'm looking for long lug nuts like those used on old road race cars. They are open ended and about 3 1/2 inches long.

Yes i do,would you like for me to post some pics of them? :nuts:

That's just wrong Kevin.:blush:

What are you talking about,i have some that a friend used on his race car they are cone shaped on each end so you can put them on either way,and they are rather long,but they are to big for my lug studs.

You need to get your mind out of the gutter Jeff :harhar:

I do, I could only find them in the shank style. Mine are stainless and I got them from Howard (redvetrcr) and had Gary (GTR1999) machine a conical seat into them.
PS Engineering sell them, they are only nickel plated though.

Nick

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I figured I could stir up some responses with that tag line.

kwplot34 Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34
Yes i do,would you like for me to post some pics of them?

That's just wrong Kevin.

What are you talking about,i have some that a friend used on his race car they are cone shaped on each end so you can put them on either way,and they are rather long,but they are to big for my lug studs.

You need to get your mind out of the gutter Jeff
Those are the ones. I wasn't sure what size stud they were used on. Please post a pic. Thanks

lvrpool32 I do, I could only find them in the shank style. Mine are stainless and I got them from Howard (redvetrcr) and had Gary (GTR1999) machine a conical seat into them.

Nick
I like the idea of stainless. Why did you have to have the seat angle changed? Do you have any pics? Thanks.

Because he had shanked nuts, they normally don't use a conic taper and his wheels do, so no other option but to machine the nuts for the correct taper.

They're the same as these:

2480f09efb2c51.jpg

See the lug holes? no taper seat but a faced recess for a washer, the shank nut sits tight in the bore.

Here's a pic of these nuts on a spindle

249431778902b0.jpg

Just for my edification, years ago I had a set of '79 F body Firebird basket weave wheels, putting them on a '70 Lemans/GTO vert, my old tow car...

so the thing was about wheel centric vs HUB centric...and so I got burned out on that for several weeks (not being the only fish in the oven back then)...and found the shanks on the lugs did not actually center the freeking wheel on the axel...hense the bad 'balance' on the road....

the shank of the lugs was not large enough....so had to order some dedicated GTO lugs...that cured the problem....

something I noticed when the lugs were being sought after.....was to take a camphor tool and ream a taper on the wheels and convert to a common lug nut for the centering function, 'screw' the shank....

I was Chicken shit about doing it at the time...but still wonder, as there seemed to be enough metal there to do just that....

makes me wonder where/why all these design variations come into play, other than to generate jobs.....

Because he had shanked nuts, they normally don't use a conic taper and his wheels do, so no other option but to machine the nuts for the correct taper.

They're the same as these:

2480f09efb2c51.jpg

See the lug holes? no taper seat but a faced recess for a washer, the shank nut sits tight in the bore.

Here's a pic of these nuts on a spindle

249431778902b0.jpg
Aaaaaahhhhh.
Thanks. I missed the meaning of "shank" style. Makes sense now.
:drink:

how is this for trick shit?....I don`t think I would use a conical lug nut on an aluminum wheel but here is a seat that presses into an aluminum wheel to protect it from an oversize conical lug nut....I believe this is more like what the early SCCA Trans-Am cars used for quick pit stops, those nuts with a shank and a washer take forever to get lined up and tightened down....I know I`ve got em.

IMG_1639.jpg

I do, I could only find them in the shank style. Mine are stainless and I got them from Howard (redvetrcr) and had Gary (GTR1999) machine a conical seat into them.

Nick

Nick I remember that job! I had to turn the angles but also had to hand tap them and that was a real nut breaker! I think the 20 pieces took out my tap set with that SS. Glad they worked out for you though.