Hydro boost Question

js292

This HB is for a Chevelle, just wondering what I'd have to do to make it fit my 71 manual brake car.

29nxu9h.jpg

Cut a new hole in the firewall, a bit lower and overlapping the old hole partially (manual MC mounts higher) and then drilling for the 4 bolts to go though the pedal box. Cut off the push rod thread it and thread on the stock clevis and use a locking nut to lock it in place. Then hook up the lines and be done with it :) Looks like it already has the correct bracket if not, a flat one is very easy to fabricate.

The clevis:
2493f156b18e6a.jpg

The HB and how it mounts to the pedal box:
2493f15a254632.jpg

Thanks, I see if it goes cheap. Will mounting lower cause me any interference with the valve covers?

Thanks, I see if it goes cheap. Will mounting lower cause me any interference with the valve covers?

NO, it should not, the unit mounts with the yellow canister under the fender edge....I can't imagine any valve cover tall enough to get even close to the HB units....my '72 was a power brake car, and so my unit just went into the same location....had to drill the plate for new holes....but I think only 2 of them on top....I managed to modify and use the hoses very similar to what you have there.....

my hoses came with the unit also...just stock stuff....I shortened one of the metal lines on one ghouth...but I use a 3/8 compression union for that job....brass from Loews Depot plumbing departments....

:smash:

The clevis:
2493f156b18e6a.jpg

OK TT, you've got me. How did you make this work. I can see that you used ta bolt for the clevis pin. I assume that you had to take this apart to mount it; pedal assembly on the inside and booster on the outside. How did you get the bolt back in?

I still have nightmares about that bloody clevis pin. i can't imagine doing this with a bolt, especially with a standard pedal setup.

:amazed:

Bag it, don't even bother without pulling the instruments dash.....you have to be small, young, agile to do it with that crap in the way....I have done it several times, but have the experience with doing it before....I recommend pulling the seat out...for starters....

I find the clevis pin much easier/quicker than any bolt, I suspect TT lost the clevis pin and used what he had on hand....:bump:
gotta use long nose pliars to set it in there, then the same or smaller pair to get the clip on the end....sometimes I juse a small 1/8 blade screw driver and flip it in place with that.....

:bump:

I lost the whole vacuum booster so didn't have a clevis or a pin. Someone sent me the clevis, no pin though.

Installing a bolt isn't that hard, just take out the drivers seat and the steering column :D

I lost the whole vacuum booster so didn't have a clevis or a pin. Someone sent me the clevis, no pin though.

Installing a bolt isn't that hard, just take out the drivers seat and the steering column :D

AHH, yes, the steering, wiring, switch, tons of fun just for our amusement....:crap:

Ok, I foolishly thought I was missing a trick. :toothbrush:

Bag it, don't even bother without pulling the instruments dash.....you have to be small, young, agile to do it with that crap in the way....I have done it several times, but have the experience with doing it before....I recommend pulling the seat out...for starters....

I find the clevis pin much easier/quicker than any bolt, I suspect TT lost the clevis pin and used what he had on hand....:bump:
gotta use long nose pliars to set it in there, then the same or smaller pair to get the clip on the end....sometimes I juse a small 1/8 blade screw driver and flip it in place with that.....

You don't have to pull the instrument panel out. I have done it once along the road and once when installing my hydroboost.

I found this out the hard way. The last owner of my 74 didn't have the clip on the pin and the pin fell out when I was driving down the highway. Had to put the pin back in along the road to limp it home.

I may be young but I am not small.

You don't have to pull the instrument panel out. I have done it once along the road and once when installing my hydroboost.

I found this out the hard way. The last owner of my 74 didn't have the clip on the pin and the pin fell out when I was driving down the highway. Had to put the pin back in along the road to limp it home.

I may be young but I am not small.

I"m age 64, 6'5" and suffer arthritis....and then again, I suppose you do what you GOTTA do....done similar crap too....:lol::lol::crutches: