Anyone else done this?

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I was removing my fuel lines today and I have a pair of P clips around the braided, anchored to the chassis in a convenient hole. There's a larger, elongated hole just forward of the convenient bolt hole.

I slipped my 7/16 spanner through the elongated hole to hold the nut while I undid the bolt. I was trying to leave it so the nut was just on the bolt whereby I would slip my finger through the elongated hole and retrieve it. However, I went too far and when I pulled the spanner out, the nut dropped into the chassis. I thought it probably wouldn't have gone too far and slid the spanner back into the elongated hole to try and snag, then drag the nut forward so it could drop out.

Bastard! Dropped the spanner! Into the chassis!

Took me about half an hour with a bloody magnet trying to get the damn thing back out.

Yeah, I know - dickhead...

Last edited:
I was removing my fuel lines today and I have a pair of P clips around the braided, anchored to the chassis in a convenient hole. There's a larger, elongated hole just forward of the convenient bolt hole.

I slipped my 7/16 spanner through the elongated hole to hold the nut while I undid the bolt. I was trying to leave it so the nut was just on the bolt whereby I would slip my finger through the elongated hole and retrieve it. However, I went too far and when I pulled the spanner out, the nut dropped into the chassis. I thought it probably wouldn't have gone too far and slid the spanner back into the elongated hole to try and snag, then drag the nut forward so it could drop out.

Took me about half an hour with a bloody magnet trying to get the damn thing back out.

What the hell are you talking about.?

Maybe Gene can translate.:phone:

Are you using those spiffy billet aluminium P clamps from earls?
No, some nice little stainless numbers with gauze type cushioning. I "found" them lying around...

What the hell are you talking about.?
Follow along turtle...
Translation: I removed my fuel lines today. I have them anchored to the chassis rail with two P clips. A bolt goes through both P clips, through a pre existing hole in the chassis rail. The nut is inside the chassis rail and I access the nut through a larger pre existing hole a little further forward than the bolt hole.

Translation: I dropped the nut inside the chassis rail. I tried to use the 7/16 spanner (wrench) to drag the nut to a position where I could grab it.

Translation: I dropped the spanner (wrench) inside the chassis rail

Translation: It took 30 minutes to retrieve the dropped spanner (wrench) with a magnet

Translation: I realise I did a foolish thing

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:​

I didn't ever do that exactly, but I have called myself a dumbass a couple of times:lol:

I can relate to that,i have had a few cars eat tools and nuts and bolts never to be found again. :confused:
I also hate it when you are working in the engine compartment and you drop something,have you ever noticed that the part dropped always lands or roll's directly under the center of the car??? or does that only happen to me?

:cussing:

What was hard to understand?

I think we have all done this kind of crap. I still have a 3/8 wrench somewhere down under the battery box on my C5. It is somewhere down there with the fuse box and one of the computers. Got shocked and bloodied trying to retrive it. Every bump I go over I'm waiting for the electrical lockdown. Hasn't happened yet.

I actually have two, one smaller one for retrieving dropped nuts and bolts etc and a much bigger one for retrieving dropped spanners and ratchets etc. And, of course, smaller magnets - was this your other reason too?

Like Kevin said, anything you drop will always roll to the EXACT centre of the car or the furtherest place away from you - whichever is most awkward and inconvenient place to reach. I think this is a rule of the cosmos :waxer:

I bought a telesoping mag flash light, pull the telescope rod out of the center of the light area. But I never drop my nuts!

I actually have two, one smaller one for retrieving dropped nuts and bolts etc and a much bigger one for retrieving dropped spanners and ratchets etc. And, of course, smaller magnets - was this your other reason too?

Like Kevin said, anything you drop will always roll to the EXACT centre of the car or the furtherest place away from you - whichever is most awkward and inconvenient place to reach. I think this is a rule of the cosmos :waxer:

Do you know O'leary's law??

O'leary states-- "Murphy was an optimist".

:flash:

Do you know O'leary's law??

O'leary states-- "Murphy was an optimist".

:flash:

I do not personally know O'leary or Murphy,but i must have done something to piss them off,I believe they are both conspiring against me :skeptic: