Oil cooler questions.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Was crawling around under a late 80s/early 90s Chevy pickup at my favorite junkyard the other day and while there the oil cooler adapter that attaches between the block and filter caught my attention. Anyone know any details about this thing? It's not an oil/coolant heat exchanger, but rather one with the lines that run up to a heat exchanger ahead of the radiator. Do these things have any sort of thermostat in them? Or are they just a simple rerouting adapter (which could be cheaply purchased and flushed out)? Also, the height of the adapter is about 4 inches, no big deal for a pickup, but I'm not sure if that's a deal breaker trying to keep even the short filter from being too damn low towards the ground.

Any info is appreciated.

Jegs sells a bunch. The sandwich adapters have a built in thermostat apparently.

This one solves the clearance problem with a remote filter mount. Good idea, may do this. I've considered a rear oil cooler too, but that requires an electric pump and isn't necessary right now.

image_12.jpg

Derale Engine Oil Cooler Kit

Includes universal thermostatic sandwich adapter or a ports-up filter mount. 13/16-16", 3/4-16", 18mm, 20mm & 22mm sleeve nuts, 180°F In-Line thermostat(where applicable), 10 feet OEM spec hose and mounting hardware.

Features:
Can reduce oil temperature up to 50°F
Helps reduce coolant temperature
Extends engine life
Includes ports-up filter mount (Fram PH8A equivalent filters)
Offered in 3 cooler styles to fit any application
Complete hardware kit included

Last edited:
i have a oil cooler that looks like that on in the kit... I run a Mk V BBC so I have a separate set of oil cooler fittings right on the block with a special divert er fitting to -10 AN lines. I run a standard PF 1218 short filter to clear the kickouts on the moroso road race pan

i am out of space on the driver side of the engine bay so any remote oiling would have to be installed inside on the passenger side

i have a oil cooler that looks like that on in the kit... I run a Mk V BBC so I have a separate set of oil cooler fittings right on the block with a special divert er fitting to -10 AN lines. I run a standard PF 1218 short filter to clear the kickouts on the moroso road race pan

ide

Where do you get the diverter fitting?

Never mind, found this write up for gen v iv:

Oil Cooler Plumbing
Located along the oil pan rail just ahead of the oil filter pad are two drilled and tapped (3/8" NPT) oil passages for routing oil to an external oil cooler. The hole located closest to the oil filter pad (#2) is for the outgoing supply line to the oil cooler. The front passage (#1), which is farthest from the filter pad, is the return line from the oil cooler.

Careful examination reveals that these two passages intersect the same return line that feeds oil back to the main oil tunnel. This requires that a special fitting be used in the #2 supply line to prevent oil from short circuiting the oil cooler.

Part number SD1540 provides the necessary diverter basket to prevent the supply oil from entering the return line before going to the oil cooler. This fitting has a dash 10AN thread to allow the use of aftermarket components to plumb your external oil cooler. The front passage #1 will require a 3/8" NPT by dash 10AN adapter (#FCM2185), which is available from Scoggin-Dickey.

Understanding By-pass Valve Locations
Factory assembled 454, 502 engines and short blocks have two by-pass valves installed in the block. These factory installed by-pass valves (#25013759) will open at an 11 psi pressure differential. One by-pass valve is installed in the center hole on the oil filter pad (#4). This hole is the oil return passage from the oil filter. The second by-pass valve is installed in the adjacent hole (#3). The egg shaped hole (#5) is the high pressure oil supply passage from the oil pump.

For all racing application that will NOT use an oil cooler but will maintain the stock oil filter location, you must remove the center by-pass valve in location #4. Removing this valve eliminates three redundant right runs in the oil system. However, if you leave this by-pass in place the oil system will still function as it was intended, but a loss of oil pressure can result from the four right angle turns required for oil to return to the main oil tunnel.

If you intend to use a remote oil filter, a high pressure by-pass valve part number 25161284 must be installed in position #3. This valve will open at a 30 psi pressure differential. A plug will be installed in position #4 to prevent oil flow thru this passage. Oil should be returned to the block in the 3/8" hole located just able the oil filter pad. An oil filter block off plate kit (#SD3891) can be purchased from Scoggin-Dickey for Gen V and VI blocks to plumb your external oil filter.

If you intend to maintain the stock filter location and will use the factory provided oil cooler passages to install your oil cooler, then you must install two high pressure by-pass valves (#25161284). One will be installed in location #3 and the second in location #4. Happy oiling